Punk bassists that use a 5 string?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CaM90, Jun 6, 2005.

1. CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    I have reccently got a 5 string (SR905), and in the past I have ussually tryed to stay away from punk music becuase of simple rooting. But recently I have been listening to punk (punk/ska/emo/hardcore/metalcore/etc.) alot more even though msot is pretty simple. But are there any punk (punk/ska/emo/screamo/hardcore/metalcore/etc. all kinds)bassists that use a 5 string? They don't have to be a crazy bassist or anything but are there any?
  2. I believe the bassist from the Offspring uses one. Well, at least on the video for original prankster. I dunno. Just make up your own stuff man.
  3. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Matt Rubano plays a five string jazz. I don't know if he really qualifies as "punk" but he's all I could think of.

He plays finger style too.
  4. CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    I do write my own solo stuff and write my band stuff, but you need some inspirations.
  5. CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    Bump... there has too be a few. :help:
  6. thunder-pick

Jun 9, 2005
    I would think true punk bassists don't need more than two strings. :D
  7. CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    Come on somebody must know a few...
  8. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    The dude from good charlotte.

:bag: Yeah, I said it lol.
  9. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Some is, some isn't. Check out the band Rancid. Matt Freeman has some nice lines.

No five string though.

EDIT:Oh, some the songs are pretty ska-ish.
  10. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I actually really enjoy his playing. Meh.
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Bassist from Daughters plays one.

There aren't many that I can think of off the top of my head.

You could be one of the first.
  12. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    You obviously don't know anything about the punk rock scene, or punk music itself.

But hey, keep on enjoying your sense of superiority while everyone else quietly laughs at you.
  13. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Daughters is more noise than anything else.

Punk bass really depends on how difficult you want to make it.
  14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Daughters are too organized for noise.

Pansy-ass fashioncore is what everyone else calls them, it's as good a genre as any.
  15. i was thinking that too, although listening to good charlete gives me the urge to hurt someone, and i cant give them enough credit to call them punk
  16. tweek84

tweek84 Guest

Aug 23, 2010
    honestly i could care less what you play as long as you play it well...4 string or 5 string? Well i got a highend through body 5 string that sounds absolutely amazing and plays like butter but i also have a ****** 200 dollar 4 string...i am about to take on the role as bass player a punk band here when normally i play hardcore, i def am not going to limit myself to that ****** 4 string just because the norm now is to play with a 4 banger. That and I honestly (not to be concerned with image) DO NOT wanna be another ******* up there playing a P bass ;)

but thats just me
  17. doctormoose87

Feb 12, 2011
    Hereford UK
    I think the bassist from Reel Big Fish uses a 5er.
  18. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    You want to stand out and not conform? Play the 5er and play it well. Then when anyone starts a thread with this title, your name will come up in the answer.

Punk as a genre may be a bunch of guys picking away at cheap P-basses - punk as an ethos would be grabbing whatever you've got to hand and just playing it.
  19. Little as I know about the genre itself (Minor Threat, early Police, Sex Pistols), I have to say, there is something really, really cool about that "chainsaw" sound of a P-bass with its nose opened wide, being picked right at the bridge, played straight into a 6 or 8 by 10 coffin. I must say, you can have all the techie improvements you want, but nothing quite gets at me like that sound.