Punk History Lesson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 28, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

For any of you who weren't around for it, or those of us who were and survived it, the Punk Era of music will be the upcoming Part 9 of a 10 part PBS series on rock/R&B/funk music.

Airting times vary be market. You can check it out at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/rocknroll/rnrpunk.html

BTW, I watched a tape today of Part 8, "Make It Funky" that aired last night. About 1/3 of the program was focused on bass and bassists becoming a featured element of the band. Bootsy and Larry Graham got almost as much attention as James Brown in the program.

Excellent stuff, better than the "What Marsalis & Burns Want You to Know About Jazz" series, IMO.
  2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    If they say that billy idol was the first real punk or mention the offspring as being big punk stars or if they leave out rancid i will be very angry.
  3. I love that series! I remember two years ago they played it on Superbowl Sunday, and I sat down and watched all 10 hours of it.
  4. Don't have to have PBS or anyone one else tell me about the origins of Punk...
    I lived it.
    Heck, I used to heckle posers in 1980 for being all 'English.'
    "I was a punk before you were a punk."
    Never did like hippies anyway...
  5. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Cool. There's a really good semi-fictional book called "Human Punk" that does a similiar job. I think it's by John King. But I can't remember his exact name.
  6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    hey rickbass, i thought i read on a different string that u played a show with the sex pistols. If thats true would u be able to talk to me about what that was like and how it was to be in a touring punk band. I'm 18 and i'm slowing reaching that dream, and i would like sum pointers and such. any info would be helpful. I'll be sure and watch that thing on PBS, thanks,
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Is that the "History Of Rock-N-Roll" video set they're showing on PBS? I have that set....Great Stuff! #9 in my set it the "Punk" tape....it's mostly Sex Pistols, Clash, Ramones, etc. Nothing new at all...which is proper....the new stuff isn't "historical".
  8. hey now, punk didnt die, the "new stuff" is just as relevant as the "original stuff"

and buy some shoes ya hippie!
  9. sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    punk is as dead and rotting corpse as rock was when punk came along to supplant it. that was the purpose of punk, to kick the bloated, masturbatory, ego trip heavy, corporate rock pony show in the balls. punk is dead. there is no need for punk, it has outlived its usefulness. since it has become the establishment there is no real punk in punk. what you have left is a worn out form with legions of clueless cattle aping their heroes, just like rock 20-30 years ago. punk has been bought, marketed, and sold.

punk taught us lessons about music. about vitality, about self indulgence. those lessons should not be forgotten, but three chord noisy crap is still three chord noisy crap just like a cheesy guitar solo is till a cheesy guitar solo.
  10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Read my post again...I didn't say anything negative or make any judgements. I said that there were no new bands on this video...it's mostly historical stuff from the late '70s and '80s.

Man, you young guys are all dying to get "angry and rebellious" aren't you? But then again, I guess that's all part of the formula.

...and I've spent more $$ on shoes than you have on gear.
  11. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Everybody, come quick! Hillary Clinton's on TB!
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Strange but true, hyper. Shoot me an email from TB or a Private Message about what you'd like to know and I'll get back to you. This isn't the place to put up my memoirs.
  13. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Wait a minute... Debbie, is that you? :confused: j/k my wifey loves to buy shoes. :D