Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

punk-keeping kids on the street

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nickis thebest, Nov 22, 2000.

1. uh i live in the middle of a frozen wasteland and i dont get out much so if you have something to say about punk music, anarchy, or religion it would be cool if i could hear from all the basspunx out there

my beliefs-

science is the only reality, thereis no god or devil

anarchy is the only way too acheive real freedom

rascists should eat **** and die

this site shouldnt put asteriks on every word they think is obscene

2. basschic

basschic

Nov 19, 2000
    I am 15/female Love bass
    and always play PUNX

It will rule the world someday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. i have a couple of things to say about punk music and the bass, listen to the classics:
    the dead milkmen~big lizard in my back yard
    minute men~double nickels on the dime
    devo~are we not men

and i would like to see the world run by a bass playing
    basschic so hurry up we don't have all day

4. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    yes the minutemen kick major ass, double nickels on the dime is one of the greatest albums ever made. take a listen to the meat puppets, husker du, the bad brains, or the replacements, all great punk from back in the day.

5. I live in the mid west, shich right now is a frozen wasteland. I love old style punk and new punk. Right now, I am a big fan of MxPx, and wish that they would someday come to the good old state of NE. I like a lot of there old stuff, but they are getting a bit soft lately I have to admit. we are however getting a small show with sum41, even though they aren't really full blown punk music, since they play a wider range of music. I like punk because it is fast and is a lot of fun and easy to play.

6. Dr_Pepper

Dr_Pepper

Nov 25, 2000
    I'm an anarchist and i listen and play plenty of punk music if that helps. Your right, anarchy is the only true form of freedom. Don't obey the state, get rid of it. We don't need a sovereign governing body dictating what we as induviduals can and can not do. People think they live in freedom because they can choose between two political parties, but this isn't freedom. We have to live on the dollar bill, pound, perseta, whatever. Currency in general. We HAVE to go to school and we MUST earn money in which to live. So many people will tell you to "get over it". Read up on anarchy dude. And anarchy is not about bombing the houses of parliment or throwing molitov cocktails around, it's about peaceful and constructive cooperation. Proudhon described what the state is perfectly by saying:

"To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction, noted, registered, enreolled, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of general interest, to be placed under contribution, trained, ransomed, exploited, monopolized, extorted, squeezed, mystified, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, despised, harassed, tracked, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, solf, betrayed; and, to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, outraged, dishonoured. That is government; that is justice; that is morality."

Well i love punk music like dead kennedys, bad religion, sex pistols, ramones, propaghandi etc. But i also like grunge, alt rock, agit rock. Rage against the machine are one of my favorite bands, below the dead kennedys and nirvana of course. Well, enjoy fighting for your freedom.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wow - punk must be big in "frozen wastelands" these days - that's where it went! ;)

Maybe you should applaud the US government for insisting on creating all those "greenhouse" gases and pollution which are causing global warming - soon you'll be thawed out! :eek:

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    too funny bruce :D

oh, and i wonder how loud the anarchist/punk "don't need nobody" anthem is going to be playing when mom and dad quite ponying up for dinner and the roof. :rolleyes:

9. Borderline

Borderline

Oct 30, 2000
    In my personal experiance, the punk and anarchist philosophies stick around pretty well after mom and dad quit paying. Its just that they quickly become superceded by other concerns.

To me, punk has always been about change, trying to find a better way to cope with society than the accepted norms, and looking for a way to make the world a better place. I'll never give that up. This does however become a little over-shadowed by the realities of finding money to eat tomarrow and finding a way to move out of my rathole apartment in my rathole neighborhood. I still keep a set of firm punk/anarchist beleifs, but in my life, burning the system down takes a back seat to staying employed. Actually, its kind of depressing.

10. Dr_Pepper

Dr_Pepper

Nov 25, 2000
    what the hell? "don't need anybody"? That's not what anarchy is about in the first place. It's about not needing a state in which to tell us what we can and cannot do. No man has the right to order another induvidual around, that's what anarchy is, self-preservation, induviduality and co-operation (unless you just want to live by yourself and and live off whatever you can grow in your green house). Proudhon's idea of a money system based on how much labour has went into a product is also a part of anarchy. You have a choice of joining this money system, or "people's bank" if you choose. Say someone spent 3 hours making some shoes, he/she would get 3 labour notes, and they can exchange that with other people who are part of this system for whatever they choose. In this system there will be no rich or poor as wealth would be shared equally. No unfair hierchy with the minority in control of the majority, and the minority owning most of everything.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i hear ya, and if that's not depressing enough, for every one like you who's trying to keep the faith there are 10 sell outs, corporate whores who suck it down the same way they said they would never do when someone else was footing the bill.

12. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Heh, well, that all depends on how serious the punk is. Me, I've got far too cushy a job to just say "fork the government"! :p Although I don't agree that anarchy is the only true freedom, it has merit. At the same time, there are some anarchists who don't believe in the sudden and radical destruction of government-- the process must start with a societal change of mind regarding government. One such person is my fiance's big brother, who currently works for the government as a social worker. :D

Check out Crass for some punk anarchists who actually lived what they preached. That is to say, in 1970s and 80s England, they set up a anarchist commune and lived outside the walls of "normal" society. :)

obBass: Unfortunately, Crass doesn't have very good bass on their records. The playing is good enough, but the actual recordings lack all low end. :(

--noise

13. its not about not needing anyone, its just about thinking for yourself and not letting anyone take that from you

14. Not to be incendiary, but I have a question. How does cost of materials and quality fit into this equation? Consider this scenario:

I make a pair of shoes out of high quality natural fiber which costs me three labor notes to purchase. I then spend three hours making the actual shoes. From the brief synopsis above (and I am sure there are other consderations), I would ascertain that the value of my product has nothing to do with the quality of the materials that go into it. If the materials cost me 3 labor notes but I can only charge 3 labor notes for them because that's how much actual work went into them, where does that leave me? With nothing.

Scenario two: You and I both make a pair of shoes out of the same materials. I am more experienced at cobbling and make an excellent pair of shoes in one hour. You are hung over, tired, and relatively inexperienced. It takes you three hours to make a pair of poor quality shoes. Do you receive higher compensation for your efforts even though the quality is lower?

I have heard this sort of arrangement proffered before, and I have always wondered how it worked.

np: Wire - Chairs Missing

15. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    It is impossible to be an anarchist because then you would be adhering to a system of no rules. At that point everyone would live under a system of no rules and then there would be anarchist who would rebel against that system and so on...

My beliefs are that...

Most scientific theories can't be proved (especially major ones such as the big gang theory and if you believe in science but not that theory then what is your theory on creation?)

You'll never find true freedom in this world

racist are vile creature who seemingly have no soul but none the less that is their evil opinion.

16. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA

17. Dr_Pepper

Dr_Pepper

Nov 25, 2000
    Anarchy comes in a lot of different forms. It's not necassarily a world without control or order. The simple belief is that induviduals should have the right to govern themselves and no one else has any right whatsoever to ORDER them what to do. Well when you think about it, the vast majority of people would probably sign up for the curency system that i was talking about here. And they can quit it if they wish too. An anarchic society isn't something that is lawless either. A good theory is that there will be independant courts. Assosiations set up by a group of people, in which you must sign up if you want their protection. Protection against murder, invasion of land, thieving etc. People will sign up to these courts from their reputation as honest organisations. Well I suggest anyone prepared to declare anarchy as a system of chaos then please read about it first before you jump to conlusions. And keep an open mind.

18. yes, punk is the best kind of music in my opinion, even if people say it's "dead". I like stuff like AFI and The Offspring (especially Igntion).

19. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    Webster definition of anarchy:

1) the condition of a society without a government
    2) a state of lawlessness, confusion, or disorder

Dr_Pepper, Your definition of anarchy is your own interpretation of anarchy which is cleary not the actual definition of anarchy. Yeah it would be great if I could read your mind and new exactly the defintion you were thinking of but since I'm not that gifted I have to rely on the correct dictionary definition. Next time please understand the correct definition of anarchy before you try to explain it.

Anyway I was just making a comment (takin from several of my professors) on how (according to the dictionary definition) no one could be a true anarchist.

20. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    LORD...OF....THE...FLIES...

anarchy what a life!?!

and......oh yeah punk is cool too.

fugazi
    fugazi
    fugazi