Punk kids? Ska kids? Bueller.....bueller....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jscriv, Jan 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    Just wondering how many other grown up punk/ska kids are in here still playing rancid covers. Chasing that amazing less than Jake bass tone. Spinning selector vinyls on a Saturday morning. Still rocking a vest with a 7 seconds patch on it. Let's talk!

2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Most of it has faded away for me, but I do still listen to the slackers!

MattZilla likes this.
  3. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    They're coming here in April. I don't think I've missed a slackers set in buffalo in 15 years

4. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    "Last one out of Liberty City, burn it to the ground."

Interested in what this thread may bring.
    I'm not what you describe in the OP, but it's dawned on me that I can play zero LTJ songs. I should at least get a few riffs down..just because.

MattZilla likes this.
  5. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    My friend if you know LTJ you are what I've described. Those were just examples of myself!

6. Accurmi

Accurmi

Aug 27, 2018
    Oh buddy! I'm so glad I found this thread! Count me among the ranks.

Operation Ivy, Rancid, LTJ, The Specials, The Slackers, The Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto, Save Ferris... Ska is just so damn good! It's one of the genres I turn to whenever I'm feeling blue as it always puts some spring in my step and brings back the positivity. The bass lines, the horn section... lay it on me!

In fact, one of the first bassists I can recall ever really paying attention to when I was quite young is Roger Lima from LTJ. That tone and the punch he can get are just fantastic. "Five State Drive" and "Scott Farcas Takes One On The Chin" are still some of my favorites. And I would include Hello Rockview in my top 5 favorite albums.

Long live them bouncy grooves!

tindrum, Mertle72 and MattZilla like this.
  7. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    I think 9th and pine is one of the first man. Kid in my boy scout troop used to make us listen to losing streak. He was older. Then tony hawk came out. Now I'm 32 still skankin! Rogers tone is something to absolutely behold. Been playing a sterling just to try and get a little bit of that crunchy punchy lovely sound

8. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    There’s an obscure old California band called Skankin’ Pickle from the 90s, and I was a rabid fan for awhile. That, plus the “Bang” soundtrack...

Good stuff.

MattZilla and rxdiablo like this.
  9. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    Skankin pickle is gold

Picton likes this.
  10. Skullie

Skullie Supporting Member

I'm still at it. My punk band is still together and I go see a few shows a month. Luckily, there's usually a well known punk band playing in the NY/Long Island/NJ/CT area.

11. Accurmi

Accurmi

Aug 27, 2018
    I've heard a bit of Skankin' Pickle on a ska channel on Pandora. I like it!

I play mostly funk, motown, and rock now. But my bass roots will always be Punk, Ska, and Reggae. Those were the main ones I was listening to when I got my first bass and will always stick with me. Jesse Buglione of Lagwagon was my idol for a few years and, as I mentioned, Roger Lima. Those dudes can rip!

Been taking a walk down nostalgia street lately and blasting The Bosstones like crazy.

Jscriv and SkulliesBass like this.
  12. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    Me too man. Ska/punk band. This one is fairly new. Unfortunately the scene here buffalo is not even a shell of what it was 10 years ago

SkulliesBass likes this.
  13. Skullie

Skullie Supporting Member

I feel the same way about Long Island/NYC. I'm looking to join another original punk band, I just need to look a little harder. Good luck with your new band.

14. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    I use to listen to a lot of punk back in the day, just never played it much(go figure). Pennywise, Death by Stereo, The Descendants, Dead Kennedys, NOFX, Agent Orange....then I discovered the earlier stuff: Ramones, The Dead Boys, Sex Pistols, The Clash.

I threw some ska in there at some point. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones Let's Face it album was the first cd I ever bought and I still have it. But I don't listen to much punk/ska anymore. I should take a trip down memory lane this weekend and jam out to some.

SkulliesBass likes this.
  15. My punk rock now is Stiff Little Fingers, The Damned, and Gang of Four but when I was younger it was Fat Wreck or nothing. Kind of douchily religiously, tbh, but I also loved Descendents, Black Flag, DK, GBH, Blitz, and Bad Brains. I still love that stuff, but just don't listen to it as much anymore. Had some ska in me in the mid 90s too. My band opened for Skanin' Pickle once... Kind of my only claim to fame. :( Mostly now though, it's noisy/sludgy stuff and doom metal. We all change, I guess. Sorta.

tindrum likes this.
  16. Bevan777

Bevan777

Jan 7, 2019
    Yeah, I grew up on this stuff, used to love Op Ivy, Rancid, Goldfinger, nofx, LTJ etc...

Used to play in a ska punk band for a good while, once played a support slot for Voodoo Glow Skulls, that was awesome.

Moved on to Emo stuff afterwards, then electro then metal, then blues. Realised I have pretty fickle taste in music :roflmao:

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022