punk on frettless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flames, Apr 3, 2002.

1. flames

flames Guest

Jun 30, 2001
    my house
    any one tried playing punk on a frettless??
    i though of it when i woke up and i dont have money for this so how would it sound?
  2. I played a fretless for a little while in my punk band back in High School. It actually sounded pretty good (when I hit the right notes, that is). I hadn't ever played a fretless at that point.

I say if you know how to play it well, go for it. It adds a different sound to the song. If you've only got one guitar, it works much better. That way YOU are the one playing the rhythm lines. The "mwahh" might get lost with added instruments.
  3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    catch 22 is a punk-ska band,and theyre bass player uses fretless.he's amazing,he goes up and down the fretboard like theres no tommorow.it sounds great too.
  4. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I recommend buying their first CD, "Keasbey Nights." Great album, great songs, great bass playing. I would stay away from the other ones though, there's only like 2 original members from Keasbey Nights on it and the songs pretty much blow. The bass doesn't sound right either. I've seen them live around 5 times and the bass player now is cool too, he has an MTD I think. He can play that thing crazy fast (yes, crazy is now adjective of measurement:D )

5. I play some raw post-punk stuff. My main instrument is a fretless Zon Sonus Special. It sounds great but you really have to develope a good ear for it. If you land notes out of tune it can be disasterous. David J. from Bauhaus played nothing but a fretless p-bass with a pick. Bauhaus is sort of goth/punk like The Damned. Listen to songs like "In The Flat Field" or "Double Dare" for some great examples.
  6. I had forgotten about Bauhaus. I love them.

Imma go listen to them right now. :D
  7. It's not a question of whether punk sounds good on a fretless. It's up to you to have a go at making it sound good.

I doubt anyone ever gave the idea of death metal being played on a fretless, but Steve DiGiorgio, Sean Malone et al have proved that it can sound great
  8. Actually, I prefer fretless basses with some types of ska, and you can DEFINITELY use a fretless in punk. You aren't going to get a Matt Freeman tone out of a fretless, but, to me, punk is about individuality. MAKE UP THE TONE THAT SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU.
  9. Don't know of anyone here has ever heard of Omar Domkus but he plays fretless in a punk sorta band called the Scaterd Few (not pop punk but real punk with reggae/funk influences)sounds awesome!
  10. don't think about it, just get after it!!!! good luck
  11. Right! If you thought about how important it was to convey a certain sound, then every band out there would be rip-offs of the last (true, there are a lot of rip-offs anyway).
    All fretless can do is IMPROVE you as a musician. It strengthens your ability to hear everything that is going on around you. Not to toot my own horn, but I can play fretless to the point that it is undetectable as being so on an album. If I wanted, I could nail every note in "Maxwell Murder" and you couldn't tell the difference!
    There are too many naysayers who would tell you that fretless or five strings don't belong in Punk. Here is a chance to prove them wrong.

12. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I think the band Tiger Army's bassist plays entirly on an upright :eek:
  13. splinter

Jul 21, 2002
    Phoenix, Arizona
    The Scaterd Few Cd's that have me on them are Sin Disease and Jawboneofanass. I play fretless on all but two tracks, Omm Pa Pa on Jawbone, and I shadow the fretless with an accustic on Dame on the same disk.

I feel that fretless is a great medium for the faster music if you have the ear for the tone of the note. Practice is the key.

Play on.
  14. monkeycore

Jul 22, 2002
    hey! i played quite a bit of punk on my fretless, it was a blast. sounded really good as it added another dimension to the sound, great for melodic fills and things like that. not good at all for playing chords though. also, if you're more into the crust, discharge-y sort of stuff, or "his hero is gone" and things like that, there really isn't much point to use a fretless. if you're going more for a neurosis, or maybe even converge type thing, where there's lots of room for the bass to play off of the guitar lines, then a fretless would be really cool. you can pick up a cheap peavey with the fretlines for probably a couple hundred bux somewhere. good luck!
  15. I can really recommend these cd's! great bass playing! definately worth checking out, very cool to have you on the forum Splinter (Omar)!!!!!!!!!!!