Punk Rawk Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basserman44, Mar 1, 2001.

1. i want a new bass, i have a job now and am saving up so the price isnt really subjective, but i'm also not gonna drop more than 1500 for a bass. punk tone is the only thing i'm looking for here, versitality is a plus but not needed. i'm looking at the musicman stingray right now but was wondering if there are any others i should look out for. also would a maple or rosewood fretboard sound better? anything will help. thanx

2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    p-bass: classic punk!
  3. I say go with a maple Stingray if you want the punk sound and good bass.
  4. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    70's P-bass with half the finish gone and stickers covering the other half.
  5. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Try a Gibson/ Epiphone Explorer not the classic punk look, ok more like 80's metal, but I think it's got a great agressive tone. Do you think a subtle difference like maple or rosewood would make a difference for punk?
  6. Definately go with the Stingray, or maybe a Sterling. They both have that indescribable "punk" sound. I mean, look at all the pro punk bassists. How many do you see that aren't playing Music Man basses, of one kind or another.
  7. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Mike from MxPx plays an Ernie Ball and they're great for putting on a punk rawk show. Then again you can't go wrong with a p-bass.
  8. smpbass

Feb 2, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    Go for the p-bass.
  9. stingray gooood. stingray is a grrreat bass for punk. heck the stingray is good for just about any kinda style of music.
  10. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Maybe try the Ibanez Luthite Series, like the EDC700 or EDB600 or something. They are sounding good, too.
    Or, if you can get the Hands on one, go with an Ibanez ATK Bass.

11. I have a mia p-bass and I like it a lot. If I could I would go and buy a Stingray right now, but they are a bit out of my price range right now. They have an unmistakeable tone and sound really good when picked. I hope you choose one!!!
  12. One, Mike aslo played a Peavey T-40, so he doesnt count (grin

Two, MXPX is not punk, its pop
  13. techichly, they're pop-punk. their old stuff is punk though. he also has a 75 p-bass i dunno if he still uses it.
  14. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    an american p bass deluxe would work well....you can get the classic punk tones from the p style pick ups and versatility from the humbucker it has. mm bass is also a good choice, but id go with the p.
  15. Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
    that thing is a monster, i love it!!
    If you're goin for that punk/aggresive just mmmmm mmm sound its all about the stingray, after 2 months i still cant find a mellow sound with it
  16. You said you got $1500. Get the MIM P-bass and spend the other $1200 on stickers and crap to put ALL over it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  17. BasketCase

Jan 1, 2001
    i would go with a cheaper p-bass and spend more money on a better sound system. I dont think you need a $1000 bass to play punk....
  18. Man, I havent seen those seven up dots for quite a while!
  19. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

your overall tone starts with your bass....you cant make a $200 bass sound like a $1500 one. A good amp does help to some extent but you can only beef up a cheap bass so much.
  20. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Well, If you want a punk bass, I hear the misfits are coming out with their own line of guitars/basses. (and pickups, and strings:)) and they want them to be as good as the ones they use now (solid rubber body, graphite neck, emg pickups. well, at least the bass, don't know about guitar) Of course, for some unknown reason, they're getting BC Rich to make them.