Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Punk related

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dontdrinkmilk5, Feb 29, 2004.

1. dontdrinkmilk5

dontdrinkmilk5

Feb 29, 2004
    being into 80's hardcore and new street punk, im realizing my skills as well as other punk bassists go un-recognized. Bassist like matt freeman of rancid are setting a new level of "rythm" .no more are we kids with pink mohawks and studded vests, but a new breed of fast ferociouse bassists bringing the instrument to levels unknow to todays rock and pop. new physcobily bands such as tiger army and nek-romantix are using upright basses in ways most standard musicians would call unproper and obnoxiouse. i just think a second look should be made at this "new" breed of bassist.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Consult the dictionary next time you feel the need to share something.

just kidding man. I don't listen to anything i would consider punk, but i have heard Maxwell Murder and that song has some pretty cool playing.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Punk related = Music Related = Miscellaneous

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    maxwell murder has some KILLER playing.

5. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    agreed, when he played the colo at warped tour it was very, very insane

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    While it's true that there are a number of hardcore and punk bassists that are talented and will probably remain unknown for their entire careers, they aren't so much a "new" breed.

There have always been snobs and pundits that always feel there is a "proper" way of doing things, there have also always been people who either don't want to listen, or don't know any better. The bassist for Bill Haley and the Comets was bouncing around and messing with his upright long before a lot of psychobilly bassists were born.

If you haven't already heard them, I highly reccommend the Dirtbombs, Black Eyes, and Lightning Bolt.

All three of these bands are changing or challenging the role of the bassist in rock music. None of them could be called punk by the conservative scenester; Black Eyes and Lightning bolt have both been snubbed by hardcore purists; the Dirtbombs...well...no one knows what the hell is up with them. But they all have some connection with the punk scene, and definately play with the necessary energy and conviction.

7. Does anyone else have no clue what the hell he is talking about?

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    IAMERICCOCHRANE,

He's talking about how modern punk bassists get no respect, I think. Something that has been beaten to death in other threads.

9. ohhhhh ok. I thought he was just talking about how his era of punk bassist are l33t or something. Well still, a confusing thread.

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    what he said. moved.

11. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    it all depends on what punk you are talking about....
    is it the punk that consists of blink 182, good charlotte and sum 41?

or is it the punk that consists of rancid, NOFX, etc.

but either way.... it has been beaten to death

12. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    my refused to admit operation ivy is greater than the beatles :bawl: .

Alright exagerated but he refused to acknowledge they are great.