Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

punk right...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Irie01, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Punk is not about a bass, but rather a sound. All you have to do is find your sound by trying different basses.If you hear it one time,you should know that "this is the sound I want".In every bass through technique and controls you can achieve multiple sounds and tones. Part of getting the sound is in you and what comes through from your mind, through your fingers and down through the amp. As far as some of the comments I have seen, they are pretty close minded."This bass,that bass".I could play any bass and with the right amp it is going to hit you in your chest.I have played a **** load of different basses along with styles to find what was "me". Then, I found the Musicman Sabre, and the search was over. And the people who say a Fender Jazz is not a punk bass, you are pretty funny. Ever listen to Bad Brains, you know, that little punk band out of DC, that is a Fender Jazz you hear my freinds, but what would Darryl and them know about playing punk?;)

2. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    The thing that really makes me mad, is the fact that the fender P bass is pretty much a "standard" punk bass. Why? I always thought punk was about not conforming, but then most of these punk bassist are using the same bass as everyone else. Most punk bassists I know are very closed minded about their bass, and they seem to think that the P bass is the greatest bass ever (and I'm sure you'll agree that that isn't true). No offense meant to any of the punk bassists here, this is just what I've noticed from local bands.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A P bass sounds great for punk. I think that's the real reason lots of punks use it. Give these people some credit, they're not idiots.

4. I love the P bass sound. I loved it when I played punk, I loved it when I played metal, I love it when I played blues, and southern rock. I still love the P bass tone in Black Metal, Goth, and Doom.

I really like the Jazz tone, too. I really like the Stingray tone, also.

But, If I could have one bass, and one bass alone, I'd have to choose a P bass, because it fits in everything I've done.

5. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I just love that mid-range growl you get from a Jazz bass. Especially in any band with loud, distorted guitars. It cuts through good, especially when played with a pick.

just my .02 cents worth.:D

6. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    :)

7. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here

the funny thing about that is all the people i know in punk bands dress exactly the same and think they are very unique. punk is a different type of conforming, it's conforming to a different culture. At least thats how it seems to be now. if you wanna be in a punk band in my area and you odn't look "punk" people will tend to give you alot of ****. I myself am not very fond of most punk music these days but i still go to the shows sincie it's only a dollar.

8. Disco_Dave

Disco_Dave

Feb 22, 2002
    London
    I think that using the same musical instrument is a little different from wearing the same clothes. Some people may play a P Bass because Sid Vicious or Paul Simonon played one, but i think most people chose them because (like me) they happen to think that they are excellent basses. For some styles others might beat it, but for all round use the P bass is probably the most widely used and useful.

Most "punks" truly are a laugh, I can't help bursting out into laughter when people with piercings and green hair say that they do it for individuality...if you wanna dress like that it's fine, but don't pretend your being original. I love Punk music; The Clash, The Buzzcocks, Stiff Little Fingers etc etc...but i've never even considered wearing zippered jeans or sloganned shirts. Joe Strummer said it all in the outro to "London Calling" :

"I've never felt so much alike........"

9. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    i agree

"punks" are laughable these days and it's true that p basses are fantastic (i'm a jazz my self tho) but i don't know if thats why they choose them.

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I thought punk was about cell phone covers and bobblehead dolls?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Just kidding, Jerry! You know I love ya!

But would you play one with a goat? Would you play one in a boat? Would you play one here or there? Would you play one anywhere?

:D ;)

11. Being the eve of my practice sessions for my show Saturday...I ask myself, Why don't I own a P-Bass?, and I slap myself and tell me, "Because, you're not a punk...and if you were, you couldn't afford one!!" Then I give a big sigh of relief, even though I'm a little outta place, My band it Punk/Rock, and I hold onto the "/Rock" part of it...I still wonder, Why don't I have a P-bass.....

Because...they're not wacky enough for me....But Then again, I do like a Quilt Maple.....Hmmmm:D

12. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Why yes, I'd play one with a goat
    And I would play one in a boat.
    If I were on a ship at sea
    I'd bring one bass... The Mighty P!

-robert

13. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the P bass, but I just don't understand why it is pretty much considered standard by a lot of punk groups around here, they are very close minded and won't even really give anything else a chance, that is my problem

14. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    I thought we had this all settled. Sigh. Here we go:

THE RULES FOR PUNK BASSISTS:

1. You must play a P-Bass. A Jazz is acceptable if you don't mind being a nancy-boy. What, one pickup isn't good enough for you? It was good enough for Dee Dee! You may only play a Musicman if your name is Joe Lalley and you're in Fugazi.

2. I shouldn't even have to mention fretless.

3. You must play with a pick. You may only play with your fingers if you are Mike Watt. Slapping is right out. Anyone caught slapping gets their mohawk taken away immediately.

4. You have two amp choices: Ampeg or GK. Anything smaller than an 8x10 cabinet (Ampeg, of course) will get you laughed off the stage.

5. You must wear your bass below crotch-level.

6. You may only use the E and A strings, preferably only up to the fifth fret. Anything above seven is really pushing it.

7. Downstrokes only, please.

There you go. Now there's no need for argument. Enjoy your new life as a punker!

15. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    This thread is just rehashing the same stuff over and over again. There isn't any question at the beginning. This should just be closed, IMO.

16. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    No, surely the "P-Bass vs. The World" topic hasn't been played out is this forum, has it? You can't be serious! (Eyes rolling...)

17. splinter

splinter

Jul 21, 2002
    Phoenix, Arizona
    While I agree that most punk bassists play a fender of some sort, not all did.

While growing up in LA and seeing lots of the 1st generation of punk circa '78 - '84, a lot of people played Rick's or cheep Japenese knock off's.

As for the coment on the Bad Brains, I have seen them live in their prime and Darryl is truely a great bassist. All on a Fender and all with massive chops to boot.

My early playing was in the punk style and I played various non brand basses. In the late 80's early '90's I was still playing a punk based, funk, fusion rock type of music but all on a four string fretless. Carvin LB70 to be exact. This was a great time in my musical history and so I would not fit the stereo-type of a P bass punk bassist.

I think there are others who played different basses at the time but Fender was dominant.

As for the so called "punk rock" of today, I can only say that as for me, been there and seen that. The punk of today is not what it was and become somthing other that what punk was about in the first place.

As the wise king Solomon said, "That which has been is that which shall be; and that which has been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun." Ecclesiastes 1:9

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I dont care what kind of music you play, whether it be punk or jazz, you should play whatever you feel like. maybe thats just my "punk" way of thinking. :rolleyes: Go for whatever sound you have in your head, If that sound happens to be someone elses - oh well, its still going to sound like you. Influences are great, they give you something to strive for but be yourself.

Just dont worry so much what everyone will think. Personally, I love P basses. I would play a P bass in a punk band, but I have a Jazz bass. My jazz bass is me 100%.

The thought that punk is about not conforming in itself is an idea that all punks must comform to? :rolleyes: :confused:

19. man, this is REALLY getting old, and its been done to death.

20. Its down to personal preference. I love my Jazz bass, one reason why I bought it was because people think punk bass and think P-bass, so I wanted to be different, I think J's look better, and I love the way the J sound. But thats what I think. You shouldn't let people influence such decisions. Hell, if you wanna hear Jazz bass in punk, listen to "...And out come the wolves" by Rancid (I think its that album). I love the tone he gets there.