Punk Rock... and American History X

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I just watched this movie... It was one of the few things that have ever actually made an impact on me...

What I got from that movie is that hate is just a repeating cycle.

White Man Blames Black Man Blames Asian man Blames Spanish man Blames Arab Man Blames White man.

Beginning of the movie, White Man shoots black man. End of the movie, Black Man shoots White Man...

The movie made me realize that hate is merely an excuse. Why should I realize that I have the ability to fix my own problems when I can blame it on Julio, ya know?

If you haven't seen that movie, watch it. It isn't a movie that shoves leftist propoganda down your throat, and it isn't a movie that shoves right-wing propoganda down your throat. You really get both sides in an unbiased approach, both sides seeming to make sense at first glance, then at the end it all comes together and basicly says that it is all bullshnizzle.

Now, the punk rock part...

When will punks decide what they want?

You got the guys like NOFX screaming "Like, guys, come on.. War is wrong. Hugs and kisses!" then you have the other side of punk rock screaming "DIE YOU ***** ***** ******** ***** PIGS!"

So, are punks hippies, or are they the opposite of hippies?
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Hippies don't mosh.
  3. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Close the thread, all answers are in this post.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I beg to differ. I went to 311 and saw the most pathetic, dirty dreadlocked, tie-dyed mosh pit ever. :rolleyes:

Glad to see you enjoyed American History X, but I feel that you take away from an important subject by talking about a very important film, and layering a "OMGWTF" thread on top of it. Very powerful movie. And you are right, hate is an endless cycle. Traveling from generation to generation, and then you'll get a white guy who thinks black people hate white people, and visa versa.

Call my glass half full if you will, but I see racism slowly dying. It will never go completely away though. But interracial relationships are becoming more and more common/acceptable. Now if only we'd American would start accepting gay/lesbian relationships, we'd be headed in the right direction.

This would be a good place to post this, it's something that's bothered me for a while: In high school, there was this kid going on about Sevendust, he said, "Yeah, I really liked them a lot, until I found out their singer was a n****r." Now, shouldn't this say to you, "Oh, maybe black culture has something to offer me, maybe I'm blocking off a portion of life by denying a race." ...."... NAAAAAAAAAAHHHH." :scowl: :scowl:

I swear, it seems to slowly be filtering out. :meh:
  5. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I thought the movie was very good and impactful. Edward Norton is my favorite actor of all time. Racisim does seem to be slowley going away. The music and skater kids in my high school are all anti-racism and stuff but a lot of the football players and athletes seem to be racist. My friend Kyle who plays bass and is also on the football team thinks its ridiculous how much racism on the field. The football players always use racial slurs when talking about somebody who isn't the same skin color as them. I can kind of expect it though living outside Atlanta where many teenagers wear clothes with confederate emblems on it. :oops: :rolleyes: The sooner its gone the better.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    See you in the lobby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.