1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Punk rock classic, cheap and durable.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Apr 21, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Just a random thought going on.... but I want to get a fender squier P just so I can beat the holly living s*** out of it. Idk what it is about those basses but they just seem (to me at least) like the perfect punk tool. They're cheap, can take a beating, make a great weapon (youtube "sid hits someone with his bass") and overall just give off that tradition "punk rock" look and feel.

2. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    I'm pretty sure plenty of Punk Bass players agree with you, because what was the one thing that united Glenn Matlock, Paul Simonon, Dee Dee Ramone, John Doe and Sid Viscious?

The Fender Precision Bass.

And here's one of the most legendary, Paul Simonon's "London Calling" Fender as it ...err... "survives" today.
    [​IMG]

3. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    lol supposedly Paul Simmones would smash his bass because he hated playing it.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm sure if he had a Sadowsky or a Fedora he would pamper it

5. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    According to a Bass Player interview he smashed that particullar one because of the sound being bad that night, they couldn't play a proper show and it frustrated him so much that he took it out on his bass. He did say that he regretted smashing it and when fellow Clash band member Mick Jones gathered up the pieces he said "Hands off, that's mine."

He then bought a couple more Fenders and the rest is history.

6. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Paul always said it was probably his favourite player, and he regretted smashing it as he had to go back to another Fender of his that didn't feel the same.

7. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Nevertheless, that image of Paul smashing that bass has become so iconic that even Disney took it and ran with it.

roen-medicom-toy-guitar-mickey-1.
    Mickey Simonon.

8. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    now that's punk...

9. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    The funny thing was that the inventor of the guitar smashing shtick also had a really punk reason for doing so.

[​IMG]
    Pete Townshend with a bunch of smashed Rickenbackers.

Townshend was an art student and he was really smitten by the so called "de-constructive" movement where an artist would destroy their artworks while they are on display, sounds really punk already, doesn't it?

It gets better, when The Who played Monterey Pop in 1967 his act of destruction on stage shocked the Hippie audience.

Later when being interviewed by Guitar Player on the Monterey pop performance. He said that he didn't like the whole druggy "Peace and love" vibe that was going on and that the thing needed a show of anger, masculinity, a display of what war was like.

Now THAT'S punk.

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I went to a underground Punk show a couple weeks back and four bands played. two of the bass players had Squier P's one had a Mikro and one had a Fender Victor Bailey (still can't believe he brought that). It was a real old school type show, beer flying, body's flying. A real good time. All the guitar players had Epi's and Squiers. I would NEVER bring a nice bass to a show like that. Every one had fun and no one cared. That Victor Bailey was a mess afterwords and he was in back trying to clean it up after his set. The other guys just threw their basses in the case or gig bag and partied on!!

11. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    That's pretty much the way it should be. If you can't afford to replace it then why would you ever want to bring it out? If you never bring it out then why have it?

12. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I am 53 years old. I was there in the good old days. I was the oldest one at the party. I had fun with the collage kids & it made me feel good that PUNK IS NOT DEAD!!!!!!!!!!

13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Squier P is a great punk bass... add DiMarzio's and you're there.

14. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    In the recent years I have attended underground punk parties and the bands and the kids who play there are the same as when I attended those parties in 1992-1993 as a teenager except that the look has changed, gone is the long hair, gone are the lumberjack coats. They are replaced by black and white make up, long black trenchcoats and high Dr. Martin boots. (Daria would be proud) The music they play still is as angry and Frenzied as it was back then but it still isn't the same as it used to be.

Gear wise the Ibanez Soundgear is the bass I see the most, because of them being cheap.

15. My tribute to Paul's bass:

cb04.

16. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008

Hey hd, good to hear from you!
    I'm 58, spent the 70's in the UK. Was in a band before the music was called punk. We traveled back and forth from Manchester to London (thank god for VW's Micro). All the bands were really close then. Ahhhh the good old days. Nothing more pitiful than a misty eyed old punk lol. :crying:

17. wow good job man!!

18. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I'm surprised no one makes replicas of that pickguard.

19. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Damned be the fools that play with passion.

20. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

:D