Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

punk rock songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ackduck, Oct 22, 2000.

1. ackduck

ackduck

May 28, 2000
    i listen mostly to punk and i want to find out some cool songs with cool basslines. so help me out if you can, thanks.

2. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    anything from the minutemen, meat puppets, or bad brains has some decent bass lines, but thats more on the side of old punk rock, for new stuff thats punk, look at the descendents, they have some slick bass lines, karl alvarez is a hell of a bassist

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Is The Clash considered Punk?

Will C.:cool:

4. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    they got to mainstream for punk, well since punks pretty much lost its meaning now, you could call punk whatever you want i guess

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    In that case, I recommend Weather Report. They play "Punk Jazz: and have some very good basslines to boot. Check out a guy called Jaco...:D

Will C.:cool:

6. Like the Qintar said, anything with Mike Watt on it (Minutemen, fIREHOSE, Dos, his solo stuff.) He's amazing. I just saw him play here last week and he was awesome. He's like the punk Entwistle. Karl Alvarez too, and don't forget Matt Freeman from Rancid and Operation Ivy.. he's pretty damn good!

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    one of the best bands (punk anyway) nowadays is Alkaline Trio, and their bassist is phenomanal. i dont know their website, but you can find the link on their label page, vagrant.net. you should seriously check them out for a good punk bassist. their drummer rules too.

8. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    Black Flag, especially the years when rollins sang

9. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    royce nunley from the suicide machines
    the guy is amazing

10. Yes! Good call.

11. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    yeah i have to agree alkaline trio has some very good basslines, i'm a fan.
    some other punk bands with good basslines are definately
    rancid, u gotta hear their new cd, matt goes nuts.
    choking victim have very good basslines.
    operation ivy
    the list goes on

12. hell_awaits

hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    The bassist from Econochrist was pretty damn good. I think he was truely ahead of his time as far as punk bassists go.

13. "roots radicals" by rancid. and anything clash, of course.

14. rancids alblum "and out come the wolves" has got some pretty cool stuff

15. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Sex Pistols. Never Mind The Bolloks has some awesome playing. Sadly though, it wasn't Sid on the album.

16. i quite like 'punk rock classic' by rhcp. It's a good punk slap line.

17. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Blondie was punk! So were the Go-Gos.

"vacation all I ever wanted.. vacation have to get away"

18. Anything Nofx. Fat Mike has awesome basslines, they are all challenging, some more than others, but its fast punk and will definetly help your playing speed.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sadly!:rolleyes:

There is no doubting the best punk basslines ever - Jean-Jacques Burnel with the Stranglers. A lot of the songs are based entirely around the bassline and if you want something challenging to play, try the introduction to "No More Heroes" - which is a great song as well. Anybody who says otherwise, should challenge JJ personally - he is a master/teacher of Karate and could kick anybody off stage in his prime! ;)

20. I_Dream_Of_Bass

I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    I would also like to add Lagwagon, Strung Out, Good Riddance, and if you're feeling really lucky, try The Decline by NOFX. I think it's got to be one of the best workouts for your hands to date.

As you might be able to derive from these bands, I'm a SoCal boy...