1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Punk rock tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boudinot Bass, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Boudinot Bass

Boudinot Bass

Apr 18, 2006
    Hello, I just signed up with the this forum to find help with my rig. I have an Ampeg SVT-350 head and Ampeg 6x10 cab. I also just recently purchased the Tech21 SansAmp Para Driver DI Instrument Preamp Pedal. I play an upright bass with a single pick up and I play my electric for some punk rock/reggae type songs, looking for a Rancid mid but a smoothness that a tube amp could deliver. If anyone knows some good EQ settings for the pedal or the amp head please share.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmmm, this is more of a live sound question so I'll move this to amps.

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    All you need is a P Bass, Marshall Guitar Half Stack, and a Pick.

Pretty rude setup, but I like it.

4. You like it when your speakers blow up? :ninja:

5. I'd keep your head's EQ set to flat - perhaps boost the mids a little. The Sansamp has a good EQ, doesn't it? I'd use that... Ditch a little of the trebble. I fyou checkout the Tech21 website, or the instruction manual, it should have some basic EQ settings for some genres. g'luck. :)

6. LOL, yeah....:confused:

7. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Hey, nothing like asking equipment to do things that it's not designed to do (ie bass guitar through a guitar halfstack)!

8. Just boost the mids a little and play really aggressivly with a pick, works for me

And i use a similar ish setup anyways

9. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    punk rock tone! that's the best musical oxymoron i've heard since "hip-hop culture"

flame off::bag:

10. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Or acoustic-electric guitar.

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    That should do it on just about any amp. Except I like to do an index finger fingerstyle (no pedaling most of the time) rather than picking (I hate using picks).

12. You know.. I think they named there band Rancid for a reason. :eyebrow:

Just a thought. :D

13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    When I think of punk rock tone I think of boosted mids and treble.

14. I find a pick is usually better because you get that bit of edge to it, a bit more aggressive, but it isnt nessicary or anything!

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you want a tube amp sound, buy a tube amp.

16. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    As ashamed as I am to admit it, my American Deluxe P-Bass into my B800 and S410, with the head EQd flat and the mids boosted a onboard, sounds so much like the guy from Dogwood's tone when played with a pick that it's scary.

17. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    And you've had LOTS of experience doing this?

Could one change the impedance going into the amp?

18. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Ingredients Needed:

1. P-Bass or P-Bass copy

2. loud crappy amp or (not so loud because no one can hear you anyway). Your amp is too nice. People will think your a "sell out"

3. A really long strap

4. Lots of CBGB or other stickers. This is a key ingredient. It doesn't allow the wood in you bass to breathe giving you that "Punk Rock" tone you are looking for. You can alter the tone by smashing your bass into the drum kits or amps to put dents and scratches that let the wood breathe slightly giving it a slightly less "Punk Tone". Be careful because if you scratch it too much than you will get EMO tone and you have to go buy more stickers.

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Marshall 4x12 was originally designed for bass. You'd be surprised how much bass they can pump out without damaging them.

20. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Punk rock tone can only come from equipment you stole or paid less than $300 for; my current rig is worth about $320, but I play in a sludge band, so I'm still okay.