Punk Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noah-Fecks, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    word. Alright being more into 'punk' than any other style of music I try to create my own sound but I was wondering what settings you guys might use? Anyways any EQ or any settings [pre, post, high, low, bright, punch, whatever] are welcome and accepted. When I say Punk I mean Punk as in NOFX, Rancid, Lagwagon, Swingin' Utters, D4, Propagandhi, The Line, Anti-Flag, etc. etc. etc
  2. I aint even going to comment

3. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Go for a mid bump on your amp boosting your mids a bit into a light frown style(If you have graphic eq) Or boost the mids a bit and lower the bass and keep the bass and treble flat. On you bass itself, boost the highs a bit or crank the tone knob, and lean more towards the neck pickup. Play with a pick usually for most punk, or play fingerstyle by the bridge snapping your fingers down abit to get both punch and clank. Heh... Random knowlege I know came in handy for once.
  4. You said you wanted to find your own sound, why don't you try that? :rolleyes:
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    L O U D

Nothing else matters.
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    But anyways:

Gain 66%
    Low 75%
    Low Mid 75%
    High Mid 40%
    Treble 80%
    Master (adjusted as needed)

This is on a Ampeg B100-R, playing mostly Jazz Basses.
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I was almost going to take the merls stance on this but I'd rather try and be helpful.

There are sooooooooo many things that go into making your sound that it's next to impossible to tell you what would sound best or most like something else. The kind of amp, the speakers, bass, pickups on the bass, setting on the bass, the way you hit the strings, the kind of strings you use, where you hit the strings - the list goes on and on and on.....

I think a good way to find the sound YOU want is start by setting everything flat (all knobs at the halfway point) and then being patient with yourself. Learn what it sounds like when you add some middle or take it away. Fiddle around slowly with all your controls one at a time seeing how it affects your tone (and your mix with a band) - you'll get a real grip on exactly how each one is going to affect your tone.

I didn't read your profile so I'm not sure if you're just starting out, but in my case it took me a while before I could start truly distinguishing the differences between basses, amps and settings. I honestly thought all basses sounded pretty much the same.

If ya want a shorter simpler more finite answer I'd say put everything as high as it'll go with it sounding like ffrrrpppptttppffffttt. That's what it seems a lot of guys around here do.

Lastly - my music is punk edged (wouldn't exactly call it punk though). I keep everything flat, push the bass and treble to about seven and run the rest of the show from my bass.

Good luck.