punk strings..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by olimorgan, Jan 5, 2003.

1. olimorgan

Jan 4, 2003
    i play punk and rock on my ibanez gsr200, ive played the strings that came with it for about 8 months so i think they've done fairly well but now they need 2 be replaced as they sound... well terrible. What strings are best to get the deep tone yet still have the ability to be played fast. I'm using this as an excuse 2 deal with some other problems, though not strictly strings they are linked in that what plecks are best to use, ive been using alien thick but i still seem 2 get through them really fast. Ne ideas???
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Any strings can be used in punk. You probably want roundwounds though, as they have more of the "punk" tone than flats do. To keep the "punk" tone without having to buy fresh strings every few weeks I recommend the soaking in alcohol method detailed <a href="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=190085&highlight=pvc+denatured#post190085">here.</a>
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  4. For Picks, look into dunlops, they're pretty thick and last a good while.

The type of strings you have on doesn't affect the speed you play at all. If you want a "new school
    punk sound (i.e. lots of bark and mid-range) I would consider Ernie Balls or GHS boomers, most punk bands use those.
  5. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    dadrios (sorry about the spelling someone help me out here) they have good bottom w/ that treble you are looking for, slinkys good too im awaiting a set of slowounds, i will update you on how it goes(it better go good our band is doing our first demo).
  6. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i disagree with the comment about how strings dont or wont effect how fast you can play... i have been playing in speed-punk bands for quite some time and i think that this is one thing i have a great deal of experience in..
    if your strings are low tension they will be floppy and you wont be able to get into a good repetitive dig pattern or picking pattern.. (they wont "spring" back into place fast enough to be where you want them to be, when you want them to be there).. on the other hand, if they have too much tension, they may be hard for you to dig into and therefor you wont be able to get a good chug going on.. keep in mind that my groove is different than your groove and even though we may be playing at the same speed and using the same picking pattern/technique as one-an-other, we may each require or prefer a different string..
    years ago when i was in an "only fast punk rock, make my hand want to fall off, down-diggs only" type band i used GHS Bass Boomers nickle plated 45-65-85-105... i read lots of bad reviews now-a-days about them but i wasnt complaining back then (back then i had no internet or input either though)..
    these days i play a wide variety of styles but i still play in a hardcore, fast punk/metal/rock band, and i've been using dr sunbeams.. they are very similar (IMO) to Ernie Ball slinkys.. i think i do like them better after they have been played for a while though, not so twangy sounding... i changed my strings cause i was playing alot of slap and my "used" sunbeams werent sounding very bright.. i put on a new set of sunbeams and i was pissed off.. they sounded too twangy (i guess i got so used to my greasy, oily, sweaty sunbeams that i didnt like the new set).. nothing a little stretching and eq'ing couldnt fix put i think i'm gonna try a set of TI powerwounds next... i have yet to put a set of GHS Boomers on my stingray.
    as for picks, jim dunlop 1.0mm black nylons only.. i wear them out fast though, and i get black dust all over my pretty chrome hardware!
    You may prefer different stuff, and that's cool.. i'm just offering what i can from my own experience... i did have a great tone though (for what we played)... it was very knocky and not at all twangy.

hope this helps a bit, sorry for the long reply.. i type too much i think :)
  7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
  8. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    yeah i got the slowounds today
    BIG difference in tone, like i predicted more bottom, and easy to play, you need to play em a couple days since you don't like the really twangy tone, they weren't too twangy for me and they were less twangy than i thought they would be. Overall rating: Very good
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The Original Punk strings - stainless steel Rotosound Swing 66's.

Rotosound (James How) invented roundwound bass strings (the 66's) in the 60's. How developed them to give bassists a punchier sound and more dynamic range than any other strings on the market in those days.

I haven't used them since I played punk exclusively in the late 70's.

DR Hi Beams (stainless steel again) are quite a bit like the 66's in tone, IMO.
  10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Well there's an answer to something I've been wondering quite a while. I was wondering what those Rotosounds sounded like, but never tried 'em. I've been REALLY pleased with the DR Hi Beams, especially in my punk/ska band. They give that extra high-end bite to my P Bass that I didn't get from the Slinkys I kept using for a few years. They keep the tone and feel (nice tension!) alot longer than just about any other strings I've tried so far, too. I Can't wait to slap a set on my ATK!
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In the "olden days," SoCom, the Swing 66's didn't have as long a life as the Hi Beams that came along later (Entwistle used to have a roadie change them before every concert). A lot of people then switched to DR Hi Beams. However, the word is that Rotosound addressed this issue and today's Swing 66's have very good longetivity.

Like any string, they work better on some basses than others. Your Precis will love `em!!! Plus, the reviews at http://www.bgra.net/bass-rev.php say they work great on Ibanez basses.