1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Punk tone from an SVT 450H ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe164, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    Hey guys. As far as i could see this hadn't been asked before more or less.

Is it possible to get that typical ampeg bright tone from the 450H? It's the affordable SVT head but i was wondering if it was still capable.

Im talking pop-punk - Eg. Blink 182, Sum 41, New found Glory and Green Day.

I play a MIM precision with Seymour duncan QP's, with a pick :spit:

Thanks in advance

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well it's never going to sound like a tube SVT, but it can be brightened up with EQ. I personally would look for a better head, or if you have to have the 450H, get a B2RE (same head only cheaper and rackmountable), and add a VT Bass pedal. The VT can make any amp sound almost identical to an SVT. It won't give you that big tubey satisfaction, but it will cop the tones.

3. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    The SVT450 isn't a "real" SVT. I own one and love it, but it's not an SVT. They just call it SVT because it is in a beautiful enclosure.

That said - it is fine for punk, but like Jimmy said..to get a more authentic SVT tone use the Sansamp VT Bass pedal.

4. Any amp and bass is fine for punk :p

5. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    Alright so it would get an ok sound but not the classic SVT one, but with a VT pedal it would get a lot closer.

Would going for the SVT CL be a wiser choice for a nice bright ampeg tone?

Trouble is it's a lot more expensive which would mean i'd be cutting back on the ampeg cab i bought with it..

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    get the CL, don't waste your time on the 450.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If you already got the 450, don't worry about it...it's a fine enough amp. Just look into the VT for now.

8. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, its punk, the 450 should be fine. I'd back off the lows a bit, and boost the hi-mids (~750-900hz) a good amount. Play back on the bridge with your pick and you'll be fine!

9. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    The 450 + VT pedal through a nicer cab (410HLF?) would sound perfectly fine.

I am running my 450 (without the pedal) through the 410he and 15e and it sounds incredible. When I get the VT pedal it will just be a little icing on the cake, but I am broke and in no rush.

The SVT CL will be a significant step up and it is up to you and your budget, but spending the dough on a CL just to run it through a cheaper 8ohm cab would, in my opinion be a waste.

Example: I could sell my 450 and 410he and use the money to buy a CL in the states (cheaper there), but then I would be running the CL through an 8ohm 15" speaker and to me that is a downgrade.

10. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    Cool, thanks guys. I think i'll go for the 450H and when i've got money, by that VT pedal. Thanks for you're help all!

Also i think i'll by an American Vintage Precision or a signature model.

Any other suggestions about the amp?

11. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    My only suggestion is that before you buy the VT pedal make sure you are maxing out the power at 4ohms. Running this amp at 8ohms is ok, but you'll find with a drummer and 2 well equipped guitarists you'll quickly get lost in the mix.

12. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    For the record this amp doesn't have an "ok sound"..it really does sound fantastic and as far as solidstate amps it does a good SVT sound.

Ampeg should strike a deal with Sansamp and have the VT Bass preamp put in all of their 100% solid state amps.

13. There are other cabs out there.

IMO, if you have a setish budget. Spend more on the amp now, and get a better cab later on.

Look at some used all tube SVTs (there are a few other tube amps that would be great) and used saves a lot of money!

I dont see the point in getting two mediocore bits of equipment and have to upgrade them both sooner than later

14. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    Thanks for all you're help :D

15. Does it contain the same preamp section as the SVT200 had? If so I wouldn't say it is fantastic . . . But each to their own.

16. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Bingo!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    FYI, SVT tube heads are only supposed to run at 4 or 2 ohms. That said, I've seen plenty of people use them at 8 ohms with no problem, but it will stress the amp according to the amp techs on here.

18. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    Just my 2 cents , but you you can get an awesome "punk" tone from a cheap tube head like the vb2 or the yba200 , 2 15" cabs and a jazz bass with the neck pick up rolled off.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks Jimmy, took the words right off my keyboard.