Punk tribute to Metallica?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Apr 26, 2002.

1. I was on CDNOW and found this: http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserve.../ArtistID=VA-TRIBUTE+METALLICA/ITEMID=1327665

I was wondering if the cd is worth buying, cause the little ive heard of their bazillion tributes already, they pretty much all suck. I was just wondering if this would be any different. I listened to some of the sound clips and some of the songs sound pretty good, but im still a little shaky as far as purchase goes.
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Without having even listened to the sound bytes at CD Cm of the punkified Metallica tribute, I have to say I find the idea oddly appealing and I'm not even a punk fan.
  3. I think you should steer clear of this, in general a good tribute album is like a blue moon. I can see why though, its hard to preserve the spirit of someone else's song while still making it interesting enough to listen to a second time. Still, "Punk goes Metal" is good, so is the Ska/metal comp.
  4. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I don't own it, but I've heard, it was IMO....meh.

If you're a big Metallica fan and a big punk rock fan, you'll probably fibnd this something of a kitchy novelty item. Go looking for much more, I think you'd be disapointed.

PS: In agree that most tribute albums suck like a Space-Age vaccuum cleaner.
  5. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    My freind has it, and he thinks it's great, but he likes punk and not Metallica. I like both, and I think its decent. Probably worth buying if you like both ounk and metallica.
  6. I have yet to hear any good tribute albums... except for the Sabbath ones, I thought those were excellent. Does anyone know any others?
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There was a multi-artist tribute album to Howling Wolf a few years back that I thought was pretty decent. For the most part, however, I don't buy tribute albums.
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Speaking of metal tribute albums, have you noticed that it has become a trend as of late to break new metal bands in, by releasing tribute albums of other metal bands. I mean, I can understand bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Sabbath, Priest, ect. getting tribute albums, but do bands like Kreator, and Sinner really need tribute albums?