Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Punk tribute to Metallica?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Apr 26, 2002.

1. I was on CDNOW and found this: http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserve.../ArtistID=VA-TRIBUTE+METALLICA/ITEMID=1327665

I was wondering if the cd is worth buying, cause the little ive heard of their bazillion tributes already, they pretty much all suck. I was just wondering if this would be any different. I listened to some of the sound clips and some of the songs sound pretty good, but im still a little shaky as far as purchase goes.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Without having even listened to the sound bytes at CD Cm of the punkified Metallica tribute, I have to say I find the idea oddly appealing and I'm not even a punk fan.

3. I think you should steer clear of this, in general a good tribute album is like a blue moon. I can see why though, its hard to preserve the spirit of someone else's song while still making it interesting enough to listen to a second time. Still, "Punk goes Metal" is good, so is the Ska/metal comp.

4. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I don't own it, but I've heard, it was IMO....meh.

If you're a big Metallica fan and a big punk rock fan, you'll probably fibnd this something of a kitchy novelty item. Go looking for much more, I think you'd be disapointed.

PS: In agree that most tribute albums suck like a Space-Age vaccuum cleaner.

5. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    My freind has it, and he thinks it's great, but he likes punk and not Metallica. I like both, and I think its decent. Probably worth buying if you like both ounk and metallica.

6. I have yet to hear any good tribute albums... except for the Sabbath ones, I thought those were excellent. Does anyone know any others?

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There was a multi-artist tribute album to Howling Wolf a few years back that I thought was pretty decent. For the most part, however, I don't buy tribute albums.

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Speaking of metal tribute albums, have you noticed that it has become a trend as of late to break new metal bands in, by releasing tribute albums of other metal bands. I mean, I can understand bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Sabbath, Priest, ect. getting tribute albums, but do bands like Kreator, and Sinner really need tribute albums?