1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

punk with fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by xcental34x, Aug 9, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Alright I'm playing with a new punk band and I'm wanting to do something original for my sound, such as play with my fingers. I mostly play with pick, but I've been working on my speed. I've tried watching bassists like Rob Trujillo play fingers fast, but I was wanting to know if anyone has any tips for improving my speed or for keeping up with the band.

~Patrick

2. just practice playing fingers and start out slow and steadily pick-up the pace, and practice practice practice

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    There are literally hundreds of threads on here telling you how to get faster with the right hand.

Take it slow at first, play with a metronome. After playing what you are playing for 3 or so minutes, put the metronome up a few paces (7-10 BPM) remember dont put it up 40 BPM in one go, your only going to hurt and frustrate yourself. Your not trying to impress anoyne YET :D.

Anyone can play something fast but it takes a REAL musician to play something slow. I take it your playing punk, so the progression isnt usually fast, but the technique i jsut described may work if the lines are a bit more complex, or you want to try and fancy fill.

Hope that helps!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just practice and you will gradually get faster.

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im a punk player and i learned with my fingers. I didnt use a pick till like my 4th year of playing bass. Like they said just start slow then youll get super fast. I play alot of hot water music and old afi and i play that all wtih my fingers..it can be done just work on it.

6. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Try learning a lot of punk songs, like some really fast ones. You could always try Metal/Speed Metal. The guy from cannibal corps (I actually heard he's registered here on TB) plays with his fingers. I've heard a few songs, and some of that is faaaaast.

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Whoa...sweet! :)

8. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Yeah, I remember reading it a while ago. I did a search, first Cannibal Corpse bassiste (I forgot his name. Then got Alex Webster, did a search on his name. Then did a search of Alex Webster member, but didn't get anything saying that he was on here.
    I know I read it before though...

9. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    If you don't, try to play with more than just your index and middle finger. I used to play with picks before, then I tried to use fingers instead, and discovered that I was able to play MUCH faster without a pick. I mostly play with three fingers, but i try to use my pinky too, (wich is hard because it's extremely short!)..

10. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I'm not gonna try to start another fingers vs. pick, but I think fingers/hands are overall a lot better...
    Fingers you can build up the speed (with two fingers) to the pick speed of using a pick or faster. You can use multiple fingers, and can go from slap/pop back to fingerstyle in a snap.

11. I agree with jokke...

Try learning to incorporate another finger into your playing, I have a funky order of the fingers that I use to play in this manner but experiment and see what works for you.

FYI: You can go MUCH faster with your fingers than you could ever go with a pick.....seriously.

-Anthony

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Cannibal Corpse bassist's name is Alex Webster, and I doubt he's on Talkbass. If he is... well he kicks ass. Mucho respect for Mr. Webster... someone probably created a screen name Alex Webster. In the metal ranks, he is a respected bassist. To be able to keep up in CC playing fingerstyle, ya gotta give props. :D

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The key to playing faster with your fingers (or a pick) is to minimize motion. It's faster to travel a half mile and back than it is to go 2 miles. The same goes for milimeters of movement. Makes sense since we're trying to cut miliseconds in time. Make enough motion to make a sound, and no more. Practice doing that and you'll get fast (with or without a pick)

14. I play mostly w/ my fingers, but just recently picked up a pick (ha ha ha, I crack myself up). I think that you can play just as fast w/ your fingers as w/ a pick, but it takes more time to build up the arm endurance to do so. It's just easier to keep it up w/ a pick, in the beginning anyways. One thing I constantly have to tell myself is not to play too hard when fingering fast (the bass, mind you). If you hit the strings too hard, it'll be much more tiring and slower.