Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gia, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    What on earth has happened to punk ?!?
    Blink182 are punk ??!!! Since when ?
    I know I wasn't around when the sex pistols and the like were but I still love them. And the ramones. And x-ray specs. (thanks mom)
    And they are much different from blink182 and other such bands.
    Well, thats my gripe.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The people playing it quit playing it to spit in the face of the conventional music BUSINESS and started playing it to make money in the music BUSINESS.
  3. Believe it or not, Blink 182 is one my favorite, if not my favorite band (but im sure you already knew that from my several other posts about them). And it's a no brainer that they aren't punk. Its pop-punk, its a form OF punk, but its not the real thing. It's punk enough for me.

And actually, I would say their new album Take Off Your Pants and Jacket IS punk. The Rock Show is pee-poor compared to the other songs on the album. They should of had another song as the first single.
  4. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    I didn't say they were bad.
    I just said they weren't punk.

I guess I am more pissed off at the preps who think they are so punk just cause they bought the all the samll things single.
  5. I know exactly what you mean....to me punk is The Clash, The Jam, The Ramones, The Stranglers, XTC and Bow Wow Wow. And a few others, too numerous to mention....what's gone wrong!?
  6. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    I think now, anything with fast guitars is termed punk.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, in "the old days" it was an attitude, a political bias, and a style that identified you to the world when you went out the door, not just a style of music as it is today.
  8. Punk is still out there, you have to look, and many times you can only fine a couple good shows a month in your area, but its out there.

Guess where the punk scene is getting pretty nice? Disneyland, that's right, we hang out by the smoking section (I dont smoke, but a lot of the rest do), Disneyland used to have many "locals" in the late 90's, and now its growin again.

P.S., I go to Disnayland at least once a week for the past year, it's a great place.
  9. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    I like disneyland. I like to buy fairy outfits that will fit me.
  10. Yeh, it definitely is still there, its just not big in a commercial way like Blink 182, Offspring etc.
  11. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    XTC? I thought their early stuff was more "new wave" -- it's those cheesy keyboards that make all the difference.
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    XTC is one of those dregs of the Punk movement. they sprung on the scene to be punks per se, but they rubbed shoulders with the latter day punks. There was also a movement called "Post Punk". which were the groups like Siouxie and the Banshees and The Cure. New Wave sorta evolved from punk, rock and disco, with groups like Roxy Music and Japan.
  13. I thought it was more to do with 35 year old men dressed in skatie clothes, and singing about being still in high school and dating a 15 year old?

..That and repeating the same three chords.. :rolleyes:

14. Yeah, I'll agree to a lot of what's said here. I had a discussion with my girlfriend about this a while ago, she was saying punk is just the sound, or something like that, so that Blink 182, and Green Day are punk. I really like Green Day, but I just think that that music is lacking, I think one of the things that early punk had was anger, and that's what set the Sex Pistols and the Clash apart from other bands. Anyway, punk is just a word, and it means something different today than it meant then.
  15. punk is raw, not all soft and mellow like blink 182

new punk is destroying what real punk is all about, so-called punk bands like 'a new found glory', 'fenix tx', and 'blink182' write all these soft songs about their girlfriends and stuff like that.

think about this, if they sang any one of their songs with just a drum beat and no guitars, then it would sound EXACTLY like one of those boy-bands.

still, good punk is there, but it is aging rapidly. And with few old-school bands forming, the future of punk doesn't look too bright.
  16. the future of <a href=http://www.thelivingend.com.au/>punk</a> looks plenty bright to me.
  17. Rage Against the Machina is a semi-punk band with a punk ethic...

I always thought post punk is now whats called 'goth'... with the exception of U2
  18. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Yeah, the LIving End rocks! Good lyrics, and they are musically original.

One thing that really annoys me about many pop punk bands besides the bland lyrics is that :mad: I-V-VII-IV :mad: chord progression. Not sure if I phrased that right but you know what i mean?
  19. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Punk is out there, man, just don't listen to the radio to find it! Check out any of the bands on Lookout! records or Vagrant records. Punk is alive and kicking my friend, don't be fooled by what the MAN will have you believe! (BTW, I like A New Found Glory... catchy songs... even if they're not "punk")
  20. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ya I agree, blink just doesn't sound like punk to me. Maybe pop-punk like that one guy said, but just not punk. I just don't feel the punk vibe like I feel with other bands like AFI and NOFX.