Punkers w/o picks?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm curious, are there any punk bassists who don't play with picks?
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yes, i dont. use them all the time.

If its a slow song, i finger, or if its a moderate song, i try and use it to increase my finger speed. Besides, there are some good punk songs that you can add slap to, and you can to that with a pick can you ;)
  3. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002

I'm not in a band or anything, but I play along to pop punk on my stereo without a pick.
  4. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I play with fingers when I'm not playing punk :p.

I like the meatier growlier tone I get with a pick better.
  5. i as well play punk with my fingers! but so does the guy from hot water music too!
  6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    first off, FUNK yea for the HWM comment. They are my fav band and the bassist rocks hard. I just saw them live like a month ago and they are one of the best live bands i have ever seen. I also am a mostly punk bassist and play with my fingers. I do play in the college jazz band and alot of blues bands and such too, but i cant do any punk song fine with my fingers. For all those posers who say all punk bassists use picks check out the guy from MxPx. They are one of the bigger mainstream punk bands and he always plays with his fingers. so nah nah nah (i dont know who im nah nah nahing too, im just agreeing with everyone)
  7. Mike Herrera of MxPx uses green (.88mm) Dunlop Triangle picks. He used his fingers from Pokinatcha to Life In General. He started using picks just before Slowly Going The Way Of The Buffalo.

Don't believe me? Check out the At the Show CD booklet and check out the picture of Mike, he has a pick in his hands and on the mic stand.
  8. I play in two punk bands and play with my fingers in both, and it's fast stuff we play.
    The only times I resort to a pick is when we've been playing for ages and the tips of my fingers are really sore.
  9. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I switch off. It really just depends on what kind of mood Im in. I think I can play faster with a pick, Ive been slacking on my finger style lately.
  10. I BELIEVE! In the video to punk rawk shownhes uses his fingers
  11. yep. me! annoys the hell out out of my guitarist "it doesnt have the right sound...wha wha wha..." but i think it has more of a 'thud' sound to get that out in punk bass.
  12. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    In the booklet for "Ever Passing Moment," isn't there a pic of him using fingers?? I'll have to look.
  13. Isn't Punk Rawk Show off of Teenage Politics? Yeah, that's an oldie but goodie, back when Mike used his fingers.

Funny video by the way, Yuri is always hilarious.
  14. I like the tone I get from my fingers that and I can't play with a pick.
  15. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    i play both with my fingers and without ..mostly with but more and more without.. im working on trying to playing Fast 16th notes with my fingers.. and i cant do it well ;( .

Mike Watt from The Minutemen plays with his finger and has for years =D hes my hero
    Mike Herrera plays with his fingers.. on let it happen inside the book it shows him playing without a pick.
    I could be wrong but what about the bassist from the dead kennedys does he use a pick?
    ive Heard the bassist from husker Du used his fingers once and a while.
  16. Let It Happen is a collection of B Sides, Rare, and Unreleased stuff, along with some covers and other stuff. That picture was taken long ago.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

He has used a pick on some things though. Not on Minutemen or fIREHOSE.
  18. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    I play sex and violence w/ a slap part...much to the dismay of the perfectionist of the drummer but it sounds good!

19. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    ahh yes.. i think i heard him saying something like "I dropped the pick and haven't played with it for 17 years" or something like that...
    I have a couple minutemen vinylls but thats it... im trying to get some fIREHOSE stuff.. oh well.. does he use a pic on "against the 70s"?? it sounds like he does..but it could just be me..

oh yeah.. about mxpx..yeah your right about that.. i forgot they were older pictures.. hmmm..
  20. rebelflip

Jul 13, 2002
    i just saw MxPx at warped on wed... and Mike was using picks... but as stated before... he used to use fingers...