Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Punkin' out my P-bass copy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassman1185, Apr 12, 2001.

1. I'm thinking of fixing up my cheap Hamer p-bass copy. It would mostly be a bangaround instrument for when I don't want to risk damaging my Warwick. I'd probably replace the bridge, pickup, and strings. What suggestions does anyone have?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What's wrong with it as it is?

Will C.:cool:

3. It's not as pretty as my Warwick. Seriously, the tone is really mushy and faceless, and there isn't as much sustain as I'd like.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One way to go- Either get an original Fender P pup or a SD Basslinnes Hot P-Bass pup (high output, VG clarity, balanced & ballsy).

Strings - DR Hi-Beams or be vintage punk and string up some Rotosound Swing 66's.

The bridge is a non-issue, IMO. Were talking punk here, and sustain isn't part of the equation. No notes last that long.

Now if you really want to punk it up - I saw Sid V's P when we played a few hours before the Pistols in Memphis. So, from that experience, I would say get some friends and spit all over it. ;)

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, but for 20 bucks, a Gotoh 201 can't hurt any. Keeps those strings from slidin all over the place. Then again, I don't know what bridge comes stock on a Hamer P-Bass copy..

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Good tip on the DR's also check out DR Sunbeams, those are my personal faves.

7. rickbass

Super- Shucks, at that price why not? Didn't know about the "strings slidin all over the place" thing :eek: I image you'll be able to intonate better if the original is that crappy.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

HUH??? You have played before the Pistols??
    Give me details, man!!!!!!

9. rickbass

It was really a kind of a fluke gig, RL311. The thing was we got hooked up through a former contact who did booking at Memphis State. We were in town anyway for another gig at the school in Jan. of `78. The powers that be in Memphis apparently weren't too keen on the idea of the Pistols playing, especially people getting injured from the forerunner of mosh pits, pogo dancing.

So, the story we got from our manager was that a few hours before the show, which was supposed to be general admission without seating, the fire officials, (I think), "decided" there would be seating. So, here's all these people practically breaking down the doors of the Taliesyn Auditorium/Ballroom and the promoters are scrambling to line up a jillion folding metal chairs in a couple of hours. We got the call, and acted as sort of a pacifier along with a local punk band while the seating was being set up for the Pistols show.

I really didn't see much of them. They slipped in and slipped out and stayed in their dressing room where I don't think they even bothered to warm up since I couldn't hear anything from their room. Their stuff was all tuned when they took the stage. Sid was having trouble with Nancy and she wasn't around on the tour, so, I think he was drinking pretty hard. Nonetheless, they actually did a pretty good, tight set instead of just wanking away at high volume like I heard they were notorious for. Rotten was actually smiling which is pretty rare for him.

The sales of the forerunner of today's metal piercings, safety pins, must have been quite high in Memphis that week.

10. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wow.

I would have given anything to have seen them back in their day, let alone to have played on the same stage as them.

I saw them on the Filthy Lucre tour when they were in Milwaukee, WI. That was pretty cool, but nothing compared to when Sid was still alive, I am sure. Even though Glenn Matlock is twice the bassist that Sid ever thought of being.

Ryan

11. rickbass

Ryan - Funny thing, I don't think Vicious, (nee "Richie"), ever THOUGHT of being a bassist, seriously. The story I heard was Lyndon, (Rotten), talked him into it because his life seemed to be going in a negative direction and they were friends before McClaren got the idea of the Pistols.

Matlock and Cook could hold their own.

12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, that's pretty much the way I understood it. Rotten didn't like Matlock cause of his "Beatles-loving" background. Sid was always more of a publicity thing than anything else. (In Mclaren's eyes anyway)