Punkng it up!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr. Zebraface, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Er...hope this is in the right forum...anyways... I have a Yamaha RBX 370 and I would like to know what parts I would need to give it that 'new-skool' punk sound, like bright kinda. E.G what pups, strings etc. Like I know that lots of punk bands use GHS Boomers or Enrie Balls, but I have no clue what pups are used.

Any help would be most helpful. :)
  2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    You'd most likely want to either get Seymour Duncan or EMG pickups.. Both are bright and have more of a light scooped sound that'd be good w/ a pick and for punk. If you want to be real punk, trade it for a mexican p-bass and play it hard w/ a pick through a slightly overdriven tube amp ;)
  3. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    Seymour duncans for the pickups. I would get a mexican fender though. Precision or jazz depending on what you want. Some good amp brands for punk are Ampeg or (my fave) Gallien Krueger. I love Mesa Cabinets, but most people use Ampeg. You could always just buy some Fender pickups for your bass if you want to keep it.
  4. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Would this make you cool in the new school punk scene? Is that what you are going for - being cool?

Do you have a certain bass players tone in mind?

I think you should ditch the whole "How do I become punk?" thing and do what you think is cool and sounds cool.
  5. Er...Ok....ta for the advice...I kinda want to sound like Ataris, Lagwagon kinda, but i know it aint gonna happen on a £250 bass....oh well. Never mind.
  6. Maybe i'll move this to Pickups. ;)

7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Trying to be punk and trying to sound punk are honestly separate entities. Good point about the "trying to be punk is un-punk."

For the most part, what I hear on a lot of recordings is a classic P bass tone. If you use a SD quarter pounder (or a "Royale with Cheese" in your wacky country ;) ) and have a new set of strings, you are Mark Hoppus instantly! But usually a passive fender pickup will do the trick. The key lies more in your hands and technique, as well as the mentality. That can basically be said about all types of music though. It rings truest in punk as the originators used a rather nasty noise for bass and it didn't matter if you had a Fodera or a Yamaha, it was more about the feeling... and the volume.... and the SVT with an 8x10 cab with about 2 busted speakers.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Matt Freeman and although I use a Modulus Q5 w/emgs, I like to dial in his tone, which is more of a classic round Jazz tone with a nice cutting high end a la pick. Doesn't hurt to use a GK for that tone either.
  8. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I get a great punk tone with my stingray... I get a great punk tone with my squeir affinity too.. (the squire just rattles a lot on the fingerboard, other than that, plugged in it sounds great IMO)..

I think any passive p style bass will give you great general punk tone.. using a pick is almost a must with punk too, but not nessessarily..

what about Mike Dirnt from Green Day.. whatever he was playing thru (could just be a good live recording) at woodstock 94 (When I Come Around) sounded pretty flippin great and he was using his old gibson.. he now uses p-basses, different amps and different cabs.. IMO, he might have sounded better with his woodstock 94 setup.. I'm not gonna say yes or no, but go download that live song.. that is a perfect punk tone IMO.. fat, sharp, bright, not too bright, mids are good... i bet he didnt bi-amp but he used 2 amps each eq'd diferently for the highs and lows.. something like that..

good luck anyways..