"Punks," punk "musicians" and punk bands...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I know this has been done before, but I just have to do it again, because I'm about ready to pull my hair out by the roots.

Recently, my fiancee's 10-year-old went from being the world's biggest Britney fan to being the world's biggest A****le Latrine fan (okay, at least Ms. Latrine plays an instrument). She's now started drawing pictures of "punks" (spiky hair, baggy pants, wallet chains hanging out of their sides, etc.) and saying things like, "That's so punk," "You're so punk," "Don't rock out, punk out" and "You're the punkest." I made a joke about bleeding to death this coming Saturday (it's kind of a long story) and she said, "Well, then you'd be punk." We then got into an argument about whether or not Avril is real punk or not. Man, I'm about ready to stab my eyes and eardrums out with a Taco Bell spork. I did have to laugh though, because her younger sister was just in the closet, crying. When I asked her why she was crying, she replied, "Because she always has to listen to Avril and I hate it. I hate Avril!" I told her, "It's okay, I hate Avril too." Help me!

I'm glad my kids are into music, but how can I get them into music?

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    *** dude avril invented punk
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Gear, ol' buddy, you're a big GWAR fan, am I right?

I think you're gonna have to let Avril slide, man.
  4. MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    I listen to punk and all the little sub-genres. My brother is the same, except he doesn't say "Punk this!" or "Punk that!" Just force them to listen to your music for the next 2 years and tell them it's punk. She won't know the difference. :bassist:
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, dude. How come that doesn't rub off on 'em?

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I don't think arguing with your kids is going to help one bit. They will just have to discover what's cool for themselves. Trust me, Dad is never cool. Ever.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tell you what... Feed her a diet of Ramones for a while. Ramones and Green Day.

Green Day isn't so punk, but they'll go down easy. Then hit her with the Ramones, then while she's dazed, slip some Dead Kennedys into her Ramones, and before you can say "Hey, Ho, Let's Go," you should have a wee punker on your hands.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But, he like CCR, Zepplin, The Byrids, Eric Clapton, Johnny Cash, Jimmy Buffet and Laura Love.

How the heck can't he be cool?
  9. Do it like Brendan said. Give her a small dose of Green Day and maybe some older Blink 182...the training wheels of punk.

The give her some Bad Religion and Ramones albums and then she'll a real punk. It's the best you can hope for.
  10. Tie her to a chair and make her listen to McLusky Do Dallas. That album is more punk rock than she could ever hope to be.

(Of course, you probably don't want her in the habit of saying things like "All your friends are *****," but it's a risk worth taking.)
  11. cliffemall

Dec 8, 2003
    Dude i am so sorry man. THANK GOD im 16 and dont have kids because if I heard filth like that wafting througout the halls of my house, i'd go flatline. Punk is like the diarreah of music, the substance is there, but it comes out as a sloppy, loud, and rather unpleasant slush, and all you can do is think of a way to get rid of it as soon as possible. If I were you, I'd start playing some good clapton or floyd or led zep in her sleep, and maybe youll get some sort of subliminal effect. If all goes well, she'll arise the next morning humming layla. But look at it this way, at least its not rap or techno. Rock on and keep it alive :bassist:
  12. Please hand over your genitalia now, as the human race has no need for your contributions to the gene pool.
  13. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    just be glad your kid isn't in to genuine punk yet, cause the truth is a ten year isn't mature enough for it. Might get carried away with the sex and drugs and rebellion. Lot of younger punks think it's all about anarchism, probably because anything that is genuine politically intelligent flies right over there wee heads.

only resort to blink if you need to, green day is good, simple, catchy and definatly has the energenic aspect of punk.
  14. Best post on the thread yet.
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's it...
    Pete's back!
  16. Actually I think, "Please hand over your genitalia now, as the human race has no need for your contributions to the gene pool." was much better. :)
  17. The rule is simple in my household...

If the kid likes something I don't...I sock 'em one.
  18. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Get some real punk records (The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, and even some modern stuff like Bad Religion and NOFX) and play them for her. Then play a Britney Spears record. Lastly play an Avril record. She should notice one thing: Avril and her music sound a lot more like Britney than she does NOFX.

I have no problem with Avril really, or any pop-punk, but I simply believe in calling a spade a spade and moving on.
  19. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Perhaps try some reverse psychology then. Act like you love "punk" and "Avril". Dress like a tard with the chains and the spikes (only around her though). If she really thinks that "Dad is never cool" then she'll move on right away.

J/k, but that'd be funny as hell.
  20. well said, hilarious!
    as for the avril stuff, just wait it out, she wont be cool in a year or two. the she'll look back and say, avril sucks, i love .............

a little off topic, i was at an all ages alexisonfire show last night(worst show ever btw, i've never ever ever been bored at a show no matter how bad the band was, lst night that changed) but all the avril look alikes were unreal. i've never seen so many, and i got a picture of one girl who not only had the "punk" look down to a T, but even looked like avril, unbleievable!:rolleyes: