pup cover? bridge cover?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lpbassics, May 13, 2002.

1. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    maybe someone can fill me in as to their purpose... is it cosmetic? I see them mostly on 'vintage' basses and i was just wondering if i was a young whippersnapper with no respect for the past, or whether they serve a purpose.

looks like they'd just get in the way...

thx, lp
  2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    They are cosmetic. Most people take them off, in fact it is rare to find vintage basses with them still on. I have a 1976 Gibson Thunderbird, and I leave the big chrome pickup cover on for one reason - it makes a better thumb rest than the pickup, which is too low. One current player who does the same is Will Lee (David Letterman's band) who has a similar chrome cover installed over the pickup on his Sadowsky basses, I assume for the same reason.
  3. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I've heard its just cosmetic, but I've also heard it affects the tone. I don't know if its true, but I guess with the metal plate over the pickups it alters the magnetic field... I don't know how, or if its bad/good... Maybe somebody knows for sure?

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, you don't see too many basses with them on there, you'll get a great tone out of a great bass with or without the covers...

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't believe it affects the tone to any significant degree. For many years, when I played exclusively with a pick and didn't need it for a thumb rest, I took the pickup cover off. I couldn't tell a difference. It might be electronically measurable, but I don't think it is within the ability of human hearing to discern the difference.
  5. I don't know about pup covers, but when I added a brdige cover to my P bass (for cosmetic reasons) it enhanced the sustain. I can let a single note ring audibly forever.

I like the way they look, but I found the pup covers get in my way, so I just put on a bridge cover, looks schweet.