Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pup cover on `57 Fender P bass reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Usul, Apr 16, 2001.

1. I love the vintage look of the older basses.Got my eye on a MIJ `57 reissue P bass.Not sure I will be able to play it well with the pup cover on though.Any of you have any experience with these?If I take it off,will it look like sh(t?

Any hints on playing ?I usually float my thumb on the pup when playing the e string.

Thanx

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Like I told you before, you can rest your thumb on the edge of the pickgaurd. :D

It works just as well as using the bridge pup or whatever.

And if you wanted, you can take it off, but I'd suggest taking the rest of the metal stuff off (the metal cover over the bridge)

3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I've left both the bridge and pickup covers off of my 57 RI and it looks better that way, IMHO. I usually rest my thumb on the edge of the pickguard.

4. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I had both of the "ashtrays" on my P-bass and decided that the pup cover,while cool looking,was in the way and restricted where I could and couldn't play.I do like the bridge cover though...it covers up the stock crummy bridges that Fenders come with.I've seen guys play with both and with one or the other so it's a matter of preference.I don't know what the pickup used on the '57 looks like though.I know that the real ones didn't have the familiar split coil pup but I've never seen what they looked like.I don't suppose they went to the trouble of remaking the original single split coil for the reissue though.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The '57 had the Split coil. 1956 was the last year of the single coil, I believe.