pup for a kydd like EUB

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Skorzen, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Hi I am considering building a shortscale EUB similar to the Kydd design. I am looking for suggestions for a pickup for this, I have no expirience with double basses in the past, and hence I know virtually nothing about the pickups used. I know the Kydd uses a fishman, is this a decent pickup? I am on somewhat of a budget here, this project is more of a expiriement than any thing else so I want to keep the cost to a minimum. I would like something that would sound decent when bowed, I don't know how realistic this is, but all suggestion are greatly appreciated.
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The type and size of bridge you are intending on using will be a major factor in choosing the pickup. I'm using a K&K Big Twin beneath the very short (one inch tall in the center) of my project EUB. I didn't like the sound of the Double Big Twin on the bridge; I liked the warmth of the Bass Max but didn't have enough bridge to enable the sound to evenly present to the pickup, no matter the location.

However, I'd use a Bass Max if I were using a regular height bridge. Of course, there are other brand pickups using similar concepts or construction, but the bridge will narrow your choices. These comments are based on my own experimentation.