1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pup for a kydd like EUB

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Skorzen, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Hi I am considering building a shortscale EUB similar to the Kydd design. I am looking for suggestions for a pickup for this, I have no expirience with double basses in the past, and hence I know virtually nothing about the pickups used. I know the Kydd uses a fishman, is this a decent pickup? I am on somewhat of a budget here, this project is more of a expiriement than any thing else so I want to keep the cost to a minimum. I would like something that would sound decent when bowed, I don't know how realistic this is, but all suggestion are greatly appreciated.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The type and size of bridge you are intending on using will be a major factor in choosing the pickup. I'm using a K&K Big Twin beneath the very short (one inch tall in the center) of my project EUB. I didn't like the sound of the Double Big Twin on the bridge; I liked the warmth of the Bass Max but didn't have enough bridge to enable the sound to evenly present to the pickup, no matter the location.

However, I'd use a Bass Max if I were using a regular height bridge. Of course, there are other brand pickups using similar concepts or construction, but the bridge will narrow your choices. These comments are based on my own experimentation.