pup guards, how do you play with them?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DBeall, Jun 30, 2002.

1. DBeall

May 10, 2002
    Vancouver, Wa
    I've seen some pup guards on ricks, and older fenders and such, and I'm surious as to how people play with them on?

I usually rest my thumb on the pup or E, but with the pickup guard are you restricted to playing at the neck? Or have a constantly floating thumb?
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Rest it on the gaurd.

3. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i saw an old jb video clip w/ bootsy playing his at the bridge.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I don't like to play Jazz basses without a neck pickup cover, anymore. I don't slap very often, but when I do, I love having the cover there. It keeps my hand in the exact same position so I have a very uniform sound.

Also, in the rare occurance when I use a pic, I rest my hand on the cover.

They aren't for everyone, but they've ruined Jazz basses for me. I have to have them.
  5. I don't like them on P basses, but I have to have bridge covers. Not only do I love the look, it is a perfect resting place for when I play with a pick.

I pluck right over the pick ups most of the time, so the cover option is out. I'm going to put one on my jazz when it gets here, just to see if I like the feel of it. On my 5 string jazz, I rest my thumbon the neck pick up, and pluck between the pups, or rest my thumb on the neck and pluck above the 20th-24th frets.
  6. I used to play only pickguards, but then I always play with a floating thumb anyway, and anchor my hand by leaning my wrist against the top of the bass. This might not work for everyone, but I find it a little easier to move with a floating thumb.