Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pup heights

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by christobass 416, Nov 1, 2005.

1. i did a search, and couldn't really find anything. :crying:

how does pickup height affect your tone? i have a defretted p-bass, and a j-bass. and i've messed with the heights on my p-bass, but haven't noticed much of a difference. :help:

2. much in the way a cardioid microphone has a proximity effect...so does magnetic pickups...

generally speaking, the closer a pickup is to the strings, the better the overall response...pull it away and the response gets weak and tinny....

there's a limit, however, if you get the pickup too close, the string will be affected too much by the magnetic field and you will get wolf tones and reduced sustain, not to mention the string bouncing off the pole piece "pop"...yik...

On my PJ, I raised the height significantly of the bridge J and it has helped HEAPS with its once-anaemic sound...

I've also found that humbuckers, for some reason, don't have as pronounced a proximity effect as single coils...P-pups also don't have as much of a proximity effect as J-pups...I'm talking in terms of tonal response, mind you, not volume response.