Pup layouts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm making a new body (see my thread in Basses) and I have a chance to relocate the pups into new positions. What would you suggest? I've got 4 ideas, and of the four I'm thinking about slanting them, ala Roscoe, or leaving them regular. It's all available.

1- Traditional P/J,
    2- Exaggerated P/J, with a P right at the base of the neck, and the J right at the bridge
    3- Mudbucker, with a P right at the base of the neck, and the J in the mid (regular P) position
    4- Turbo, with the P in the sweet spot, and the J right between it and the bridge

I'm debating these, and if you have any other suggestions please make them.

So, what's your take?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Brendan - Even though this interactive pickup placement Java applet is more germane to guitars than basses, it has never let me down....... try it while realizing woods/bridges make a world of difference, too. I used it as a reference for my custom -

3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...That's just confused me, Rick. It looked pretty, but it just ended up confusing me.
  4. rickbass

Damn! I thought all of you young pups were smarter than we old pluckers ;)
  5. 2. exaggerated PJ , I think would be very (ie. too)hollow-sounding with both p/ups on full.
  6. rickbass

Mock - That's what I always found to be true. I got tired of it and got a 4-coil Bart soapbar with switching options in the neck position of my custom just because of what you pointed out.......unless you like that Jaco sound (which I don't).
  7. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'm thinking P pickup in normal P position and a J closer to the bridge than Fender or Squier places them.

There's a local guy w/ a 70's hotrodded P that has his J pickup almost right up against the bridge and it's sounds kickin'.

I'd probably go for the middle between where Fender places the J now and the bridge plate itself.
  8. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    On my custom, I have MM pup a bit further from the bridge than a J would be..almost at the Stingray sweet spot, and a J pup fairly close towards the neck. Gives me very aggressive sound with MM soloed, and nice, growly low-mid sound with both pups on.
  9. I've seen this before, but need some help interpreting it. I understand it shows frequency response, right? About what frequency range is considered your lows, your highs, or your mids?
    And the dips would be frequencies not present in the harmonics, right? How do we put this into perspective so we can see how it applies to music? Thanks for any help; I think this Applet is neat and would probably be very useful if I understood it. :)