Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pup-p problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by acexxxoasis, Jul 1, 2005.

1. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    hey there everyone I have a P bass with EMG selects in it I wanted to put a dpdt switch in it like this
    [​IMG]

because a book I had said that would add a different sound to it...

well I did that and the wire connecting the to Pup parts had 2 wires in it now no matter what way I connect it (even back how it was before I cut it) I no longer get a signal out of the bass side. what could be the matter? do I need to buy new pups?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You probably wired the bass side backwards. Add a longer lead to the half you cut, attach that to the pot, and put the lead from the pot onto the same lug of the switch.

By the way, this is known as series/parallel wiring. I've done it with my basses for quite some time, though you'll probably use one setting most of the time, it's cool to have extra switches.

3. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    well I tried wiring just the bass side to the pot and it didnt work that way...

I couldnt get the bass side pup to work at all if I did the signal was very weak.. its making me mad...

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, but did you try swapping the leads around?

5. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    I tried everything I could im not an absolute newb when it comes to pups but this has got me stumped...

I tried to switch the leads I tried to wire it back to how it originally was, backwards of how it origianlly was, to the switch in just about every configuration I could think of.

6. GregP203

GregP203

Jul 1, 2005
    correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the split pickup design of the P pickup was to cancel hum like in a humbucking pick up. wouldn't changing series/parrallel make the buzz worse and change the impeadance

7. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    its supposed to make it like a split jazz or something

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

If you're going to be messing with your own wiring, you need to pick up a cheap meter for $15 from Radio Shack or wherever so you can at minimum check continuity to know what's connected to what. Not all DPDT switches are the same. In fact some DPDT switches are actually DPTT. Without a meter, you don't know what's connecting to what. And if you don't know what's going on, you're just copying some diagram which may not work and you'll be lost cause you won't be able to figure out why it doesn't work. With a meter you will learn how the current is flowing through your bass and eventually no longer be just monkeying diagrams. The basic alternative is to keep switching wires trial and error till you get it right.

You will need one if you play an electric instrument regardless. It would also pay to do a little homework so you buy what you need and not more than you need. The swing arm meters to me are preferable to the dig meters which are typically more expensive.
    And always make a diagram of the way it was so you can return it as such so you still have a functioning bass if your alteration is unsuccessful or undesireable - which it will be as often as not.

You can reverse the wiring to get hum canceling in series or parallel and parallel does increase resistance, alter tone, and decrease output.

9. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    I have a digi multimeter if thats what your talking about it does continuity checks. and my bass side pup is not working but it shows continuity.

I have wired my bass back to standard the bass side pup did not work.
    I have completely removed all the electronics between the bass pup and output jack... still nothing. but it shows current flow through the thing so again

I AM STUMPED

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

that meter will tell you how current flows through your switch, pots, and jack and determine whether they are functioning properly.

I'm not familiar with an EMG select P pup but I assume it only has two leads (if so, you couldn't get series/parallel with a 2 lead pickup through a switch anyway) and if those leads show continuity than the pickup will put out something if you wire it directly to the jack if the jack, cord, and amp are good.

In fact you don't even need the bass, you can just take a jack and wire a pickup to it, plug the cord into the jack and turn on the amp at low volume - tap on the pup with a small metal object and get sound.