Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pup pan wiring question...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by freakbass, Feb 26, 2005.

1. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

Ok. I have a buddy that has a Warwick Streamer standard 4. (The two pickup one) right now, the knobs are vol/vol/tone. We want to rewire it so it's vol/pup pan/tone. I've done some minor non-guitar related electronics work, but never anything like this. It would be awesome if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  3. freakbass

You're my hero! Thanks a lot! :hyper:

4. freakbass

I guess my next question would be, for passive MEC pickups, would I need a 250k or 500k balance pot?

Thanks in advance!

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Glad to help :D this forum is great! Are they humbuckers? If so guess I would go 500 but I am not sure of that.

6. freakbass

they are humbuckers. I'll go for the 500!

Thanks!

7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Before you mod to a blend control listen carefully to your bass. I've found that pans or blends place the pu's in parrallel and not series and affects the total impedance that's seen at the output jack. Listen both ways before tightening that pan pot down :D

8. Alowishus

Alowishus

Feb 28, 2005
    Is it possible to put a series/parallel switch on a vol-blend-tone setup?

9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Most vol/vol setups have the two sources wired in parallel these days. Wiring sources in parallel gives you a (roughly) constant volume over all the blended settings.

I think you could wire a blend pot to put the sources in series, but why would you want to do that? The blend would also act as a sort of volume knob, with the center detente having more or less twice the output of either of the ends of the blend. Offhand I do not know if there would be a switch that would allow you to operate the blend in series or parallel, but my guess.... maybe?

There is a difference between running a single pickup in series/parallel and running a bass' pickups in series or parallel.