Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pup Selection help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by full_bleed, Dec 27, 2005.

1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm looking at pickups right now for a custom that I want made. I'm looking for a very versitile pickup that will be able to wire in both series and parallel as well as switch from front coil/both coils/rear coil. For aethetics only I perfer a pickup with no exposed pole pieces but I will not rule one with them out. I wish to be able to get all 3 "standard" american tones i.e. jazz, p-bass, and musicman and more if possible. The pups I'm looking at right now are Bart CF and MM4CBC as well as Nordstrand's MM4.3 although I have no experience with these pups and have not heard any sound samples to base my selections from :( . I'm curious about bassculture pups but I can't seem to dig up much info on them. Any and all suggestionsand comments are welcome. Moderators I will be placing this thread in 3 different locations in hopes to get more responses as I know that not everyone visits the same TB sections.

2. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well, for what it is worth, I don't think that a price tag necessarily correlates with quality. I used DiMarzio Model J's in my last bass, and they sound better than many much more expensive pups. I was purely amazed at the sound of them, very powerful, well-rounded sound. I bought them based off os SMASH's pup review in the electronics forum. And they come with a ~90 dollar price tag, not 290.

I would even be so bold as to say that careful selection of capacitor value, and for that matter the scheme of the electronics, can make a larger difference than which pup is used, for passive 'lectronics.

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Who said anything about prices? BTW I'm not looking for a jazz pup.

4. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    i bought a pair of Delano Quad Coil Soapbars. unfortunately, i havent tried them out, the bass is not ready yet!

but i believe that quality yields quality. that thing is so carefully and cleanly made ... its horrific! now i dont feel like starting a line of the business in pickup making. that Delano guy turned me off :(

5. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Do you have a linK?

6. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    But you gave a list of criteriaas far as desired sound, and I gave an option that would fill the bill...

7. Delano Pickups

I haven't tried them but there've been a number of positive reports about them.

8. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    I tested Warwick Jazzman fitted with Delano J+MM set. It was exellent, very good tonal balance.
    Bass owner changed pickups to get rid of volume differences between pickups, MM overpowering the J.

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd say -Bassculture- or -Lefay-
    <www.bassculture.de>,<www.lefay.de>
    Both are very ,very good.
    Both make very fine basses also and will be able to give some advice as to what may work best for any given taste or requirements.