1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P'up spacing on a Ric- Surprisingly big difference!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sloppy_phil, May 20, 2012.

1. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    One of my pet projects that had been on the backburner was to do a little modding to my 4003; it was a first run model, and so had a lot of the 70s 4001 parts. I really enjoy the tone, but something about the early 4001 sounds were really awesome, especially the middle position. I figured since I had the same p'ups, maybe the spacing was the key. I got a piece custom cut for me that had the original 1/2" spacing. Turns out that I must have been right, as the new piece made a bigger difference than I figured. The neck p'up soloed now has a more mellow top end, and less scoop in the mids than it did previously. Not a HUGE amount, but still immediately noticeable for me. But in the mid position, I got this much more growly, nasally grind. Really great sound, although it was a somewhat unexpected result. Really, I had just wanted more tonal distance b/w the neck position soloed vs. the mid position. Before they were incredibly similar, barely any difference b/w the two. But maybe the spacing shift created different phase interaction, or something. In any case, I was loving the sounds of the Ric before, but now it's just a whole new level of awesome!!

And, forgiving my appearance, here are a couple shots of the before/after on the bass. Sound clips aren't a likely go, especially so because I don't have any from the previous set-up

Attached Files: