1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P'Up subs for fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I am modding a Fender Jazz Bass by adding a fretless neck, and I was wondering what pickups I could put in to really get my tone juiced up. I prefer active, but really I will put in anything that gives me nice tone. I like to be able to get some real Jaco "mwah" but I also like to get lots of clarity for chordal work, and warm and clear bassy bottom when playing more traditional jazz. Which pickups would be the best choice?

edit: I know there is no "best" choice, but I was just wondering your own opinions.

2. you'll get that "mwah" from the set up...(good low action, well-cut nut)...

for a nice tone, I think you should start with the strings not the pickups...

I suggest that you get onto Carvin's website and pick up a set of those LaBella Nylon Tape wounds (carvin has the lowest prices for these that I've found)...these will give you a sweet sweet tone...

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    DiMarzio Model J's do it for me :hyper: