Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P'Up subs for fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I am modding a Fender Jazz Bass by adding a fretless neck, and I was wondering what pickups I could put in to really get my tone juiced up. I prefer active, but really I will put in anything that gives me nice tone. I like to be able to get some real Jaco "mwah" but I also like to get lots of clarity for chordal work, and warm and clear bassy bottom when playing more traditional jazz. Which pickups would be the best choice?

edit: I know there is no "best" choice, but I was just wondering your own opinions.

2. you'll get that "mwah" from the set up...(good low action, well-cut nut)...

for a nice tone, I think you should start with the strings not the pickups...

I suggest that you get onto Carvin's website and pick up a set of those LaBella Nylon Tape wounds (carvin has the lowest prices for these that I've found)...these will give you a sweet sweet tone...

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    DiMarzio Model J's do it for me :hyper: