Pups and pots for blues/rock/motown?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tsal, May 7, 2001.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Some of you perhaps remember I'm dissatisfied with my Ibanez SR600. To be precise, I'm dissatisfied on it's sound and I think it's weakest link are the electronics. It seems to be great bass otherwise, I'm just not getting that punchy warm rock'n'roll/blues brothers-sound I love so much out from it.

Pups are passive P+J with passive vol/bal/tone pots. What kind of replacement parts would you suggest for getting Precision-styled sound? SD Quaterpounders and some kind of EMG or SD elecs perhaps?

Also, I have thought about saving few bucks by replacing the P pickup first with the elecs and that jazz later when I have more cash to spend, does this make any sense?
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    "punchy warm rock'n'roll/blues brothers-sound" - from an Ibanez SR?
    That sound is a P-bass sound, that comes from a big and soft body with a not so stiff, rather short neck bolted on, and one pup where the string vibrates tremendously.
    The Ib SR has small, light body that is harder than a P. The neck also seems stiffer, to me, and protrudes more from the body (longer).

How close can you come?
    Well, inserting a fatter P-pup will get you started. Changing the balance control to a vol pot, or inserting a short circuit switch for the J, you would be closer, as this would minimise the magnetic influence from the J-pup. Or would you take it off?
    Next step is pre-amp, then speakers.
    But how close can you get, with "the wrong" wood construction???
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, I'm actually not after P-sound, just to change my sound more towards it.

It would seem also that the J-pup sounds ok to me, but the P just sounds too dull.

So, I'll start the transformation by getting BassLines Quaterpounder P and putting on some flats(I have Warwick and Yamaha cheapo rounds to try out before those) and then look into other pup and electronics later.