Pups/bridge/misc. for MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i´m thinking that on my next travel to US i´m going to buy pickups, bridge and misc. items for my MIM Jazz instead of buying a new Bass... i think that´s a great idea because i´m on a budget and buying a brand new bass wil result me in a mediocre $400 - $500 bass (and too many problems bringing it down to mexico :D)... instead i´m going to get a totally modified MIM Jazz with cool pickups and beautiful tone.

i already read the bassplayer mag. J Pup shootdown...

made my list:
    -Aero instrument MP-181 ($150)
    -Bartolini 9k#1 and 9w4j ($150 and $163)
    -Basslines SJB-2 Hot ($150)
    -Di Marzio Model J and Ultra Jazz DP149 ($129 and $120)
    -Fender Custom Shop 60´s Jazz Bass ($160 and got 4.5 of 5)
    -Lane Poor Jazz Classic ($225)
    -Lindy Fralin Jazz Bass ($160)

so which is YOUR choice and opinions (very welcome :) )

some questions: Please reply

1.- when you buy pickups for a jazz....do you buy two? or just one? i saw some prices (like Basslines SJB-2 Hot for $150 list. does this mean the price of ONE pickup?)

2.-Should I buy two pickups from the same brand and model?

3.- Can I buy a pickup by X brand and buy another from Y Brand and make them work togheter??) If it´s possible... which mix up would be great?

4.- is it true that I can buy a Gotoh 201 bridge and easily put it in my MIM Jazz with no problems??

5.-is that true also for the 206 Gotoh model?

6.-are Bad Ass bridges hard to install?

ok those are my main questions... i would apreciate all replies
  2. You buy one. Unless specified, you can assume an advertised price is for 1.

Not neccesarily. You can mix and match. Be aware that some pickups are more powerful than others, and therefor, there may be a volume difference between pups.

See # 2. I can't recomend a combination. I can say that on my P bass, I replaced the split p with a Di Marzio Model P, and installed a Fender Deluxe Jazz bridge pup. The DM pup is much louder than the jazz.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Since the others have been covered, I'll handle the rest. :D

4. Yes
    5. No. The screw holes don't line up.
    6. No. It's the same as the Gotoh 201 in terms of screws and whatnot, but you have to file slots for your strings.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sadly, Lane P is out of business. No more LP pups are being made.
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    so now they cost $300 :D
    i wasn´t that interested in them anyway... but your info is always welcome!

i´m thinking about the Fender Custom Shop 60´s

so if i got it right... i should buy TWO of this pickups to get a good tone? (yes... my budget allows me to buy two pickups)

or buy one and keep the standard one?
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    sorry if any of the questions sound stupid or newbie... is just that i have no pickups in my near stores and i have never asked questions about them
  7. My setup that I love-
    MIM Jazz, Badass2, Dimarzio Standard Jazz set (both pickups).

If I had to do it over again, the only thing I'd try would be the Gotoh 201 to keep from having to file string grooves, not that it's that big of a deal, though. I did it in about 10 minutes on my Badass2.

Word of warning on mixing pickup brands--phasing. You have a 50/50 chance of mixing 2 pickups from different manufacturers that are out of phase, and will sound thin, hollow, and crappy. Even if you luck into 2 that are in phase, they may not be hum-cancelling. So I advise to stick to a set. The Dimarzio DP123's Standard Jazz's, are only $90 for the pair, and they are noiseless even when run one at a time. Same with the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz set.

8. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    look's just like my mim-j,ever thing except the pup's
    mine's are dimarzio's ultra jazz.
  9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    thanks for the pickups info!

i have a MIM Jazz color "metallic blue" (but the real color is purple :D)

i´m thinking about putting a white perloid pickguard instead of the white that comes with it...

put a Gold Gotoh 201 bridge and change key tuners to Gold too.... man, sure looks great in my head... i still have to check it by myself :)