1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pups for a future Warmoth Dlx V P-Bass build

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by themadpiper, Mar 24, 2009.

1. themadpiper

themadpiper This is CAKETOWN!!

Jun 25, 2008
    Pascagoula, MS
    So, I was gonna do a 4 string P build with a Dimarzio Model P pup. I really dig that pup's tone and fits perfectly with the prog metal band I'm in. Currently playing a Traben 5er but having played a friend's P with the Dimarzio, I was GAS'n bad for the tone and playability of a P.

All would've worked out well, until both guitarists decide they're gonna play 7-strings. I'm cool with that, as they don't intend to ride the B-string all the time, and I think for the overall sound, it'd be good. So I thought about making the P and tuning it to BEAD, but worry that I might miss the G string. Which leads me to ask what options are there for a 5-string P bass that would be tonally similar to the Dimarzio? I have found that Warmoth does the standard split coil P rout on the 5 body, and would like to find something to go that route with (no pun intented). So far the only pups I've found that could work are the Nordstrand NP5, and that the Dimarzio Split P works well on 5ers.

Anyone have any insight to any of these pups??