Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by warmsden, May 18, 2004.

1. warmsden

May 14, 2004
    Posted this in 'Basses' and got no opinions. Probably in wrong forum, eh?
    My boy has an '87 Fender P-Lyte, full scale bass with a P&J configuration. Made in Japan. Great appearing bass with fast neck and it is LIGHT! Running it through a '71 'tuck & roll' Kustom 250 bass amp which has 2 Altec Lansing 15" 421a's in it. I understand this was a top line upgrade back in the day. Creedence Clearwater had an entire back row of these bad boys. Now you know how old I am!

The P-Lyte has the original active pickups in it and she just doesn't have the big boomy bottom end we're looking for. It might be good for slappin' but not for the old time rock 'n roll.

I figure the big Kustom is capable of giving this sound but maybe the guitar as it is now is not. What can I do to "bass up" this guitar? Suggest a pickup combination that may help. Also, do I have to buy active pickups or can I wire in passive pickups?

Maybe I can't get to where I want to go with the guitar, but if I can add some bottom end I'll probably give it a shot dependin' on what you folks advise.

Thanks & Regards,

Willy 2 Shoes
  2. Seymour Duncan Vintage series, or Quarter Pounders if you like it more aggressive and boomin.
  3. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    DiMarzio's Model P (p-bass) and Model J (j-bass) pickups have an insane amount of low end. They are offered as a p/j set, model # DP126. The pickups are quiet and relatively inexpensive for the quality and sound. Judging from the sound that you are describing, I would remove the active electronics and wire in passive pots with the Model P and J. You can order directly from DiMarzio at list or shop around online.
  4. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I have an old P-Lyte and a five-year-old P-Lyte deluxe. I have used the deluxe for all styles of music. Still have the original pickups on them. The old P-Lyte has neck and electronic problems. I get the best sounds with better strings and using more the neck pickup. What kind of strings are you using? I strung mine with TI Jazz Flats (not just for jazz, but probably not best for heavier rock) and got a much more solid sound. Just suggesting you might consider different strings. TI has Powerbass strings that are more for rock. The right strings can just transform a bass.