1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pups for fretless project.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ghindman, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    So I'm considering building a fretless for myself, and I'm torn on electronics.

I'm looking at a j-body, probably alder core, and a maple/rosewood, or maple/ebony neck. Any pup suggestions? I'm going for that deep, smooth, proggy sound.

2. bump. someone helo the kid out. im interested as well, because i play a fretless and was looking at the fender cobalt samarium pups that come on the american deluxes for my bass.

3. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I used a single q-tuner mounted about 1" to 1-1/2" forward (toward the neck) of where the bridge pickup usually goes. I'm running that into a Demeter preamp. The sound is awesome and I never miss the other pickup.

Ralf

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Bartiloni MK1 (Have them on my fretless along with the bart pre-amp)

or

MEC

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yeah, I'd be all over Q-Tuners if it weren't for the fact that the Five-string and Six-string vesrions are so long I'd not only have to route for them - I'd have to move knobs on non-pickguard basses. But they are great-sounding ultra-flexible pickups with great passive output