Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pups for my custom bass - nordstrand, bartolini or others

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Sep 3, 2005.

1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I am about to get a custom 5-string from an european luthier and I am shooting for that MTD 535 sound like for example on Erykah Badu Live, but I don't have money for MTD :(

The problem is that I don't know if I should go with Barts (but as I'm informed, it's not possible to purchase Barts that Mike uses on his basses) or should I try with some Nordstrands or some other pups?

What about ordering some custom pups from my luthier?

2. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    If you want the sound of the MTD then I'd try to stick as closely as possible to that recipe. You may not be able to get the exact Barts that Mike uses, but I'm sure Bartolini has something they could sell you that's close.
    My pickups sound a bit different that the Barts, so if you want that MTD Bart sound, I wouldn't recommend my stuff.
    Good luck.

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You could try looking for the MTD pickups in the used market. See if an ebay search brings up any results.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, my respect level just went way up for Nordstrand. Never have I seen someone recommend against buying their product in any situation. Hats off, sir!

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Couple that with how he treats someone who does buy his product, and you can't do any better IMHO. :hyper:

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Well, it really makes sense...at least as far as I'm concerned. If you recommend a product (any product) for someone for a particular application or need, and you know that the fit is wrong, you're creating an unhappy customer. I suppose it could work out, but it just seems like a huge waste of time to recommend something for someone that you know is wrong. You aren't doing yourself or the other person any good at all. Carey's a smart guy and knows that. At least.....I THOUGHT he was a smart guy until he told me about that cannon ball dive he tried at his in-laws pool earlier in the summer! :D ;)

7. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    You're a class act Carey...