1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pups for narrow spaced 5er

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GeoffByrne, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Having tried a few different makes & sizes, I've decided that my Hohner B Bass V suits my small hands - I have it set up perfectly for me.

However.

The electrics leave a lot to be desired.

I've just acquired & am in the process of fitting a John East U-Retro pre in place of the 2-band and I'm turning my attention to the pickups.

These are EMG Selects - perhaps not the best around.

I've measured them and the neck's around 91/92mm and the bridge is about 94/5 which I see from the Bartolini site is the same size as their 4 stringers, and also a set of 5 string pups (59J1 set)

I think I probably want a blade-type pup as the Hohner has quite narrow string-spacing at the bridge.

What would you guys recommend both in the way of rail-types and those with poles? And for those of you who've done this, how the pups work with a U-Retro?

Thanks.

2. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Well, rails are universal! Poles are great, but they are best when they fall directly under the strings. If your bass has very unique spacing, then a rail will guarantee the optimum placement.

I see the Hohner B Bass V has soapbar pickups, so here is my recomendation:

Seymour Duncan/ Basslines SSB-4 Set:
    [​IMG]

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/cutting-edge-1/ssb45_passive_p/

"The full-length dual blades accommodate maximum string spacings up to 2.70" (68.5mm) for the four-string model and up to 3.10" (78.5mm) for the five-string model"

I have a set of these in my Thunderbird (gothic) and they rock! Here is a link to the tests I ran on youTube:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1DEC5C5C08B307DF

I hope this has helped you.
    :bassist:

3. I'm afraid my B Bass V has J pups:

P4070581.

So which brands/makes are blades?