Pups: Inverted P's and slanted J's, but why?1?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAD2X, Sep 21, 2005.

1. I noticed that Cort and Warwick desing some of their basses with P pups in the neck position that are inverted when compared to Fender Precision's. Also some of their J pups in the neck position are slanted, like on my bass. I was wondering why they would change something like this after it's been the same way for so many years. It must change something in the tone but what?
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Closer to the bridge: more high harmonics, less lows
    Closer to the neck: less high harmonics, more lows
    So with slanted there's a bit diference
  3. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    I honestly don't believe that reversed/ slanted pickups make much of a difference to the fundamental nature of the pickup.

Rather, perhaps it may be aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Call it a hunch, but something tells me that Lee Sklar didn't change the orientation of his P Pickup because it "looked cool."
  5. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    It doesn't make a difference to the nature of the pickup, but placement plays a big part on sound.

Notice that manufacturers that do the slant/reverse P thing do it as to cover the lower strings closer to the bridge than the higher strings? That's to achieve better string-to-string tone balance.

(that's one thing that's sweet with the traditional P pickup - the E and A strings are thick and powerful, and the occasional foray to the D and G strings is clearer and snappier :))
  6. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    There is a real (you can hear it at a gig) difference in the sound of my Sadowsky PJ depending on the orientation of the P pickup. Reversed, the B string is a little tighter and the G string pops are a little sweeter.

I was sceptacle as well untill I tried it.