PUPs problem?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AndrewShirley, Nov 1, 2004.

1. I have a Fender P-bass Lyte Deluxe with stock PUPs (Active electronics)

I've had the bass for 8 years now and am very happy with it, plays great and sounds mostly good.

However I'm starting to realize that its missing something in the low-end and the highs are somewhat sterile.

I know that this subject has been beaten to death and I've done tonnes of research on it, but I'm looking for opinions on whether is time to upgrade basses or just my PUPs.

I play in a rock band with influences from the Who, Zeppelin and so on. I like Geddy Lee's gritty sound, except I want more bottom end.

I'm also wondering if my PUPs/Electronics are messed since I get a flanging effect when I hit an open E (or my nut?), but not on any other note (including low F).

Anyway, just trying to sort it all out, thanks for your advice!

- Andrew
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The "flanging" effect may be a twisted string. I'm not exactly sure how that may or may not affect output, but it wouldn't hurt to re-string.
  3. Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of that one. I just put a brand new set of strings (Ernie Balls) on a few days ago and noticed that the A string was actually bent near the ball. Stands to reason that the E string may have also been damaged.

I did notice the flanging effect some time ago, but not nearly so noticable. I wonder if its just the new string's brightness that allows the effect to be heard.

Either way the PUPs are extremely noisy, especially around hydro. My DAW is above my house fuse panel and I get a lot of PU noise there.

I think I'm going to trade it in on a Godin BG-4 :)

- Andrew