1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Purchase Price?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zerbit, Apr 24, 2002.

1. zerbit

zerbit

Apr 24, 2002
    SLC, UT
    Hello all, new member here.

Question for those who might know better than I do.

When purchasing new amplifiers, basses, etc., what percent of the list price is good to pay? I normally try for 70% or so of list price, but have talked to people who say they will not pay more than 50% of list.

Also, I know that certain manufacturers will not allow negotiations on prices (i.e. Mesa/Boogie on their guitar amps). Anyone know of any bass guitar/amp manufacturers who are this way?

Thanks for your responses, and I look forward to talking with many of you for a long while now

Zerbit

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I dont personally set a %. I normaly look around and try to balance price against everything else (customer care, warranty etc).

Some makers have a recommended retail price or a suggested... and others allow discount.

Years ago a mate worked in a shop and a rival was selling Roland stuff cheaper than he bought it for. The fact that they sold hundreds of these items lowered the price they bought them for.