Purchased a 96 Amr Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flury, May 27, 2004.

1. flury

May 21, 2004
    Well I got me a Fender Jazz bass finally. American series, a '96. It feels wonderful but I think theres some electronics problems. Depending on which way the volume knobs are turned I get a nice hum coming from my amp and other times there is none. Also, tone knob is completely useless. As in it doesnt do anything to the sound. Is this normal over time?
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The hum you hear is most likely coming from the lighting or possibly the t.v. if one is nearby. It is known as 60 cycle hum. Most jazzes suffer from this. Is there lighting with a dimmer switch in the room your in? Try turning both pups up to the same level, that will cancel the hum. As for the tone control try changing the strings first.
  3. flury

May 21, 2004
    Yeh when they are both at equal volumes, there is no hum. The room is loaded with flouro lighting so yeh, that is definitly the cause. As for the tone, I ran the bass into my little 70w peavey and the tone knob made quiet the difference. It went from semi growly to extremely ... I love it :D But on my hartke 7000 head and 4 x 10 cab, there is no way of adjusting it. Ive tried everything. I get a deep punchy sound constantly.
  4. The hum is normal for a single-coil pickup: unless both are at the same level and wired out of phase (like a jazz) there will be some induced hum.

I'm not sure what your tone issue is, though...
  5. What kind of amp are you using? Is the amp in good condition? I'm running my 1995 MIA Jazz out of a Yorkville at home but through an Eden Metro in the studio. Huge difference in tone, the Eden is much more articulate.