purchases on which TB led you astray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plutonium244, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    This was quite the lecture......

I've always appreciated the irony in joining an Internet forum to tell others to "log off".

PsyDocHill, Treebeard and willsellout like this.
  2. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Did you miss this part of my "lecture"?

"including a good hard look in the mirror for yours truly"

I didn't "tell" anyone to log off, and unlike most I'm not at "work" committing time theft either.

3. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not sure what that last part had to do with it, other than another opportunity to sling arrows. A good addition to the prior lecture!!

4. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I was most led astray by the TC head hype. The "test drivers" were given way to much lenancy, and grossly oversold the company and product.

5. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Fortunately, the Booblex return policy is the most lenient in the Booblex-Type-Thing industry.

TMARK likes this.
  6. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I notice the naysayers as much as the faithful. Nothing is all good or all bad. And a lot is too good to be true. It's all about tone, in more ways than one. Ugly tone = low credibility.

For me, the greatest thing about TB is the classifieds. They give one the opportunity to try out something that intrigues you that you would NEVER buy new and to move it along if it doesn't turn you on—or if you end up with too many of them—with little or no penalty.

Everybody has an opinion. With rare exceptions, it's just chatter.

7. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yes to this. I don't buy anything that has universal praise and no criticism in the discussion. If it's ALL good chatter and no trade-off downside comes up, inherently I know the overall review picture is not credible. I'll seek out the other side of the coin. I know every product has its less-than-perfect aspects, so if I hear none then I know I haven't seen the whole picture yet.

Probably most of us also seek out as much other information as possible in addition to TB talk, such as manufacturer specs, comparing its competition, etc. Additionally, more direct conversations via PM with owners can be helpful; you get more information and also a sense of the compatibility of that TBer's sensibilities with your own. I may not agree with every opinion, in the end, held by someone whose opinion I trust, but in addition to TB stuff, I have learned of other products that I have come to really like from other internet communities (such as, sports message board for my alma mater, as an example) from individuals whose opinions I value, and seconds given to those opinions by others I trust. Such as, Marmot rain gear and Muck boots.

Bottom line is, you can learn a lot from people whose experiences are different than your own. As long as the risk is not extreme and the cost of it's not working out are acceptable, a person would be somewhat foolish not to trust in the experiences of others at times. I even take advice from complete strangers about whom I know nothing sometimes-- as in, "if you take the river road, it's blocked off due to high water about 4 miles down; I'd take Townline road instead."

Sometimes you have to use your judgment about the judgment of others.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  8. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Lots of user error starting at the onboard EQ and continuing to the amp/DI.

DONT BOOST THE BASS ALL THE WAY.

I try not to touch the EQ. At all.

9. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    I can safely say that I have not been led astray gearwise by TB.

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    none so far.
    I bought two Class D heads based on TB
    reviews and like both amps.

11. DrummerwStrings

DrummerwStrings

Mar 27, 2015
    Philly
    None
    So far so good. I've bought a combo amp, 2 basses & a strap based on leads from TB, & I'm happy with all of them. The Ampeg BA-108 v1 has a rattle, but I expected it & have an action plan, thanks to the reviews & threads. (I may have to edit this once I start making the mods).

The vintage SX I bought actually exceeded my expectations - I might be lucky, but I never heard of the brand before reading the threads here. Hopefully the luck continues when I swap the bridge & do the other mods (also thanks to TB).

Where TB might have led me astray is the research time. I'll seek reviews & advice, and I'm a bit of a contrarian, so I will get even more skeptical when I hear all good or all bad things. Then I do my own search. But I'm a beginner, so all I knew was some music theory. I have a lot to learn, & I have to figure out when I'm learning too much about guitar & not enough about playing it.

My first thought when I was given a guitar was 'I need an amp, I could look for a Bassman' - if I did that, I could have put A Lot more time into practicing. But some of that time I saved I would have probably have had to use for getting a new apartment. And eventually I would have wanted to figure out how this stuff worked, so I would have eventually gotten here, picked up a bass, & downgraded my amp. So long as I keep practicing, either way it will probably be a wash.

12. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Schroeder cabs....

13. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    The one place that TB did not influence me was to convince me to go "home" to 4 string basses again. And of course TB P-bass love is all about P-basses with Fender-shaped headstocks. Seemed like the place to start to me. But you are right about Ibanez. I just LOVE Ibanez basses and had I fallen for the P-bass thing I'm guessing that an Ibanez 5 stringer would be where I'd end up looking even though they don't have Fender-shaped headstocks! :)

14. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I buy every single bass according to what I like.
    I never ask ANYONE "Which bass should I buy?"
    I might do some research.
    But I decide.

But I really fail at restraining myself from suggesting a bass.
    Despite the fact that the majority are not going to take my advice.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  15. Sadowsky owner here and I agree with you. They are great though.

And flats downright suck IMO!

TMARK and gebass6 like this.
  16. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Flats.
    We all left them for a reason.

TMARK likes this.
  17. Ethan117

Ethan117 My instrument makes people jiggle. Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2014
    I loved every demo I'd ever heard of the idiotbox blowerbox, so I bought one.

No matter what I tried, I couldn't get anything but squishy square waves.....the nice low gain settings and raging but intelligible distortions people love simply don't happen with my rig.

That's a lesson I revisit every time I make a pedal purchase now - the other pieces of your rig make a HUGE difference.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021