purchases on which TB led you astray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plutonium244, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    8-9 years ago when youtube demo's weren't as abundant as they are now, I bought a Fulltone Bass Drive because I was looking for "a good pedal for metal" and this was the product that was highly recommended in between the flaming of the thread that I created. I bought one from one of the boutique bass product dealers online and just could not find any sound I liked from the thing. I spent like $200 new on it and the seller really broke my balls on returns/exchanges/shipping, so I ended up exchanging it for a used GK Diesel Dawg, which I loved and still have, although I now know I got kind of gutted on the exchange.

Plutonium244 and Roberto Nunez like this.
  2. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I guess I'm lucky in that I haven't had anything I bought based on TB recommendation that I really didn't like. The closest I've come is a set of EMG Geezer PJ pickups which I put in place of the stock ones on my Aerodyne. Was underwhelmed by them at first but they did end up growing on me and are still in there. In fact, bought another P set for a recent parts bass I did and am happy with them.

Jeff Elkins and Plutonium244 like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sire basses. I actually think they're better than I was initially led to believe. :p

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    A jazz bass.

middy, Roberto Nunez and Plutonium244 like this.
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I agree. I had already bought a MIM Jazz V (my choice not influenced by TB) in order to have a Fender-shaped headstock in the stable. It's burst with a tort Guard natch. It's a great bass but I'm not a huge fan of it. But then I came under the influence of TB. No not to go "home" to 4 strings. Retch, after all my years of 4 string basses I'm NOT going back no matter what TB says. But I did fall victim to P-love. Are P-basses the ultimate creation of Leo and God? Well only one way to find out. So I bought this burst Squier and modded it with NOS Fender P-bass 5er pickup and a Dimarzio J. Since it was burst, the new guard was tort, natch. Looked like a million but did not improve tone. I originally put rounds on it but didn't like the tone. So since TB says flats and tort get tone from the P-bass I put flats on it. Well, it's OK. I'm not selling it off or anything, but it in no way tickles my fancy like my L2500s. I'm just never going to be one of those TB P-bass fanatics that convinced me to go P-bass.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  6. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    If mine were fretted, I might feel differently. It's not so much that a given thing is intrinsically "bad" but that common/collective wisdom doesn't fit everyone. I certainly-- for me personally-- did not find it to be worth the $300 I put into it. That doesn't mean it isn't to someone else. It's just not something I would bring on a gig and play expecting it to hold up to my usual expectations of what a bass should be and do. I'd kind of thought that maybe it would, before buying it sight-unplayed.

7. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Two observations... we both took a fling at a P bass after TB love. I kinda found I like a P bass, however; which I was inspired to buy and have strung with flats. If I could have just one bass it still wouldn't be a P, but only a P can give you a certain classic sound to the nth degree. I like it; it has its place in my team, but it still isn't lead dog. Everyone is different. It's not that TB advice is "wrong" per se, but that it can lead you down a road that you expect to be fruitful based on what was said, but it leads you nowhere you want to go, or just doesn't do enough to wow you like you hoped (like you and P basses). I actually had low expectations for a P so it was easy to exceed that.

But is the Precision bass Leo's ultimate creation, as you ask? Interesting that you mention your L-2500 because I have an old, old L-2000. I believe Leo himself said the L-2000's (and by extension in my book the L-2500) were his ultimate creation.

Roberto Nunez likes this.
  8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

To be honest, I think the biggest thing TB led me astray with is the idea that I needed to buy anything at all. I had a couple of basses, an amp, and several pedals before I showed up here. Several thousand dollars later, I'm no better a musician for it.

9. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Wrong answer! They are just as awesome as advertised!

Just kidding.

Speaking of jazz basses, I won't buy an American jazz or P bass because I am afraid I'll be disappointed, and that the value difference is hype. Yet, I haven't played one in eons so I have no factual basis for that opinion. I was cool with a used MIM P bass because I came into it with low expectations and low investment, and those low expectations were surpassed.

10. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I agree, that is a deleterious effect of TB exposure.

11. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Flatwound strings.

The Essential Jaco Pastorius CD set.

gebass6, birminghambass, OOD and 2 others like this.
  12. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Nothing, I'm far to stubborn with my opinions to buy anything that TB likes that I wouldn't otherwise go for myself.

That said, TB orthodoxy has actually led me to some very satisfying purchases, namely my Genz Benz cab, my Phil Jones Bass Buddy, and Chromes.

13. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Darkglass Vintage Microtubes

GuzBaas and Plutonium244 like this.
  14. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Effects pedals in general, synth in specific... got over that, and am much more careful about what I actually buy now...

I still take recommendations from here, but try stuff in person. This approach cured me of a lot of GAS without spending any money :)

Plutonium244 likes this.
  15. Dropzilla

Dropzilla

Jun 23, 2007
    To be honest, I think the opposite has happened for me as a result of this site.
    I've actually been fairly turned off to my dream-bass because of TB feedback

Rick 4003 in jetglo. :(

MattZilla and Plutonium244 like this.
  16. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    The TB Coffee mug......it didn't show up with a box.....so I was very disappointed

Mug.png

PsyDocHill, madidus, ak56 and 23 others like this.
  17. The one thing I'm glad I DIDN'T do from TB hype was to buy a second 210 cabinet. I went for my instinct and bought a matching 115, and it sounds IMMENSE.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    PsyDocHill and Plutonium244 like this.
  18. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    A friend of mine, singer in my main band at that time, bought a Fulltone Bass Drive at a garage sale for $5 and gave it to me. I still don't use it much.

BlueShox likes this.
  19. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    That mug should definitely be in tort finish.

20. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Non-matching... oh no you di-unt!

PsyDocHill and AshInAmsterdam like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021