purchases on which TB led you astray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plutonium244, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    You like the PJ Bss Buddy, eh? I was thinking about one of those about a year and a half ago-- partly based on TB buzz. GAS for it faded though. Seemed pretty cool but in the end I decided I didn't want to to $200-ish for what for me would be a silent practice amp. Now you got me thinking again, lol.

2. I also use Boss pedals, and play with a pick. My pickguard is plain black, AND I play as if on rhythm guitar.

3. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I'd be looking over my shoulder at every street corner. You trampled all that is holy. Prolly a TB hit out on you.

PsyDocHill and AshInAmsterdam like this.
  4. It's ok, I'll just call my mate Glenn Fricker and buy some stickers.

mobass33 and Plutonium244 like this.
  5. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, Sire and Barefaced are 2 things I tried after reading so much positive pub here on TB, even though I couldn't try them out. Both are among my favorite things now.

DrummerwStrings and katalyzt13 like this.
  6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I don't run my decisions through the forums, but a couple of times I've regretted it

most recently I put out a thread about a double-locking vibrato style guitar in the $500 range
    the suggestions led me straight to a used MIJ Ibañez which I own now

as soon as I posted the NGD, everyone jumped on to tell me it's a mutt, because the neck & body don't match
    DOH!, I guess in that case I should have posted about it prior, but someone would have probably bought it out from under me if it was a good one

I am not paranoid!

7. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    You might consider getting your ears checked! :D

Kala U-Bass. Everyone seems to love them but me. Their sound, particularly the fretless models, leave much to be desired. That and I can't say I like how they feel or look.

Roberto Nunez and Plutonium244 like this.
  8. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I feel the same way about the P/J. I like the Pbass & I like the Jazz bass individually, not smashed together like a PB&J sandwich.

Nomogram, jnewmark, okcrum and 3 others like this.
  9. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Not to derail the thread, but I have that exact Aguilar pickup for sale ;)

For Sale - Aguilar P-Bass Pickup: AG 4P-60

Roberto Nunez likes this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Agreed. The Sire Jazz and The Squier CV P basses are way better than I expected.

11. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Me too. And in my book, if it has two pickups, it's not a Precision, even if you call it Deluxe.

Artobass, lowdownthump and Helix like this.
  12. That's weird, because at every turn I hear more about the U-bass and see more new U-bass content.

Perhaps we're using two different internets? :)

The lack of a B-string was the only thing that kept me from buying one. Other companies make roundwounds for U-basses, and Hadean U-basses are cheaper, yet generally agreed to be of much better quality.

They're definitely not for everyone ("How can I slap on a U-bass?"), but you've gotta appreciate that they're a truly portable, fully-functional electric bass.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  13. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I've had a few disappointing purchases over my 20+ years as a musician. The three that come to mind as being most TB-influenced are:

Dingwall basses. Had an ABZ5. It was light and easy to play, but the tone never did it for me. I've tried a Super P and felt the same way. I want to like them, and I still eyeball the NG2.

Greenboy cabs 15/6 & F115. These had more to do with a customer service issue with a builder than the fundamental design.

Darkglass VMTD and B7K. Wanted to like them, but couldn't quite get there. I do like the Symmetry compressor, though.

wmmj likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Not only has nobody led me astray, but I would be a real sadass dope to blame my bum purchases on anyone but myself. Who is holding a gun to my head?

15. Sire Sire Sire Sire Sire Sire Sire Sire

16. No joke, I ordered a tort guard for my J, being lefty there was only choice a Fender CS that was a special order. The guy contacts me a few days later and said it's backordered months. I forget what site it was, not important. really great service overall.

So yeah tort.

17. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Warwick Corvette Germany Active 5

18. P Bass...

Mainly for the feel. Way to bulky for my tastes. I should have known as I was test driving it though. I just convinced that I would get used to it out of necessity because "everyone needs a P bass".

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    BlueTalon and Plutonium244 like this.
  19. Nothing I've bought, based on TB reviews, has disappointed me. But I've had the opposite sort of thing where many things that are pretty much hated on TB have turned out to be very nice:

Dean Markley Blue Steel strings - a lot of hate for them here - I love them and they last forever.

Rotosound 77 monel flats - granted I enjoy the TI flats too, but I love the sound of the 77 and don't mind the tension at all

Seymour Duncan SPB-3 (quarterpound P bass) - hated here on TB and I wouldn't want it to be my only pickup, but I have other basses with SPB-1 and other pickups that are well liked here and I find myself playing the bass with the SPB-3 just as much and enjoying the difference (the difference, to my ears, is much less noticeable than one would expect from reading all the negative comments on TB)

Boiling strings - haha - this has so much hate here. When I buy a used bass with old strings, I boil them to remove the previous owner's DNA and give a listen first instead of just tossing them and putting on new strings. Some of my favorite strings are ancient strings that came on a used bass and have "aged to perfection" - especially for recording, I much prefer the sound of very well aged strings on a track.

20. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Let me think...
    Nothing. Not a single piece of gear that I have picked up on TB have I either regretted buying OR had any trouble re-selling.

MegaSwing likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021