purchases on which TB led you astray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plutonium244, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I used to boil stings once upon a time. When you are a struggling musician, saving $35 can be a big deal.

2. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Of course I am not necessarily saying stuff purchased in the TB classifieds, per se; rather, gear that was purchased due to board recommendations that otherwise might not have been your purchase choice. Stuff bought on TB classifieds could of course fall into that category.

You have a pretty decent bass store in San Diego, so I'd imagine you have a chance to try out a lot of stuff that I might not have been able to without a 2 hour drive. That's always good! As far as TB classifieds (while not the topic at hand) I haven't bought a lot of stuff here, but nothing I did buy has been a problem or disappointment. I think I bought the U-bass on Reverb.

Roberto Nunez likes this.
  3. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Of course, just because I say "I feel terrible because I swallowed rat poison" doesn't mean I am blaming the rat poison.

PsyDocHill, Caloiski, GregC and 3 others like this.
  4. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Carrots. They taste bad and have horrible tone.

gebass6, Nomogram, swafran and 2 others like this.
  5. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I would have expected it to sound worse. You got lucky.

Roberto Nunez likes this.
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Funny+Cats+With+Gun3.jpg
    We have your cat. Buy a ratty Tuck N Roll Kustom amp, or that kitty gets it!

MobileHolmes, swafran, tmw and 7 others like this.
  7. Yeah and what's the best tort pickguard for metal by the way?? :cool:

Plutonium244 likes this.
  8. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Transparent tort.

9. I revisited Flatwounds a few times in the past few years because of the incessant chatter about them on TB, not for me. DR strings as well, decent strings. Rotosound RS66 or Dean Marley Blue Steels are much preferred.
    Found out about Bag End cabs on here, that was a good recommendation.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  10. Can't think of any, even if I later sold it. I take everything with a grain of salt, and a gallon of GAS.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  11. I don't think the OP meant things bought from TB. More along the lines of purchases you made based on reviews and praise from other members that you regret or were unhappy with.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  12. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I have always taken ANY hype as worthless. If some hype is about something in an area of my interest, OK, I hear you, but that only makes me put it on the list to possibly try out with the others on the list. Hype does not equal Buy....ever.

13. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    There was a movie once, didn't quite pass muster, if I recall :( … Early days - I'm sure there's more woe lurking somewhere 'round the bend - But I fear not.

Most of the time, it works the other way 'round, for me - I'll pick out something, on a whim, then come here and discover how stupid I was. :D So no complaints. And, many thanks - for all the good advice y'all :)

14. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    You played it in a store and took it home then want to blame other people for your decision? You bought it from a seller without a satisfaction guaranteed policy and now want to blame someone else?

To answer your question, none. I don't take opinions to heart. I try things out for myself. I don't care what anybdy else says. I don't care how much money they make. If it does not work for me, I don't buy it.

Ikkir and Plutonium244 like this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    In the few short months I've been on TB, I've had a really bad experience (The Harrisburg Incident), and a really awesome experience (The 'What A Difference A Month Makes' Incident), the latter tilting my batting average more toward .750, rather than .500... the meds have helped tremendously, also.

16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    AH.

Well. I'm pretty much a "show me" guy - I don't listen much to buzz. I'm a skeptic.

Roberto Nunez and Gluvhand like this.
  17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Oh, that's good - and it's NOT good! Being near a place chock-full-0 $5000 basses is very very dangerous!

Roberto Nunez and Plutonium244 like this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    ... I didn't base any of my decision's on TBers advice. I know what I want, I research my choices... If it doesn't go my way, the only person to blame is me.

gebass6 and Gluvhand like this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I threw an AG-4P-60 into my Squier Matt Freeman and put a set of Chromes on it. If your tastes are anything like mine when it comes to having at least one PB with an "old school" tone in your collection, you'll be very happy with your mod. That combo sounds great on mine.

(BTW, I opted for red metallic flake instead of tort just for something different.)

Plutonium244 likes this.
  20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Kitty's got backup Bro:

sniper_kitty_1.jpg

PsyDocHill, TMARK, GregC and 11 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021