purchases on which TB led you astray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plutonium244, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I'm pretty much the same. My interest may be piqued by reviews and declarations of greatness but I tend to want to try things first.

TMARK, SanDiegoHarry and Plutonium244 like this.
  2. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Hm, I think you have completely misunderstood my take. In a somewhat novel, overserious, peculiar, and spectacular way. I want to blame other people? What's this about a seller satisfaction guarantee? "I don't care what anybody says. I don't care how much money they make" Wha..? Nevermind, you seem angry.

But just to pick up on something you've said anyway, let's say there is a thing, lets call it Booblex. It is in a category of thing you're very interested in, might even need. You live in Tibet. There are no Booblex dealers or owners withing 600 miles. People on Booblex-Type-ThingsFansUnited.com are raving about Booblex. Booblex costs $300. You've needed a Booblex-type thing. Do you consider listening to the Booblex-Type_Thing discussion boards crowd and have Amazon air-drop you a Booblex, or do you adamantly say "until I can take 2 months off of sheep herding to travel to Lhasa next Spring by yak to try the Booblex operated by a hand-crank generator, I will not take anyone's advice. I do not care how many Renminbi a person earns, I will be Booblex-type-thing-less. I WILL NOT LISTEN to ANYONE. " Yah?

Also, tell me you've never bought anything anywhere that you hadn't personally tried before... light bulbs, lawn mowers, cheeseburgers, pliers, etc. Ever order anything on Amazon? I'll bet 90%+ of the population has ordered some brand or product that they have never personally laid their hands on before. In fact, it is something of a necessity. You never? If you did, then you listened to somebody.

TMARK, Nomogram, Fat Fingers and 2 others like this.
  3. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I have to say the solidbody, fretted is no toy, but having owned, gigged, and sold an Ashbory prior to the U-Bass, I knew the fretless, hollow body was a non-starter. Seriously, hollowbody bass guitars are a joke, unless it's like a guitarron.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  4. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Pretty much all of my pedals. Not because they were bad, but at heart I'm really not a "pedal" guy. They're fun and sound good, but I could've bought a few more basses or another amp for all the money I spent on the pedals.

Roberto Nunez, Helix and Plutonium244 like this.
  5. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Funny, I have a set of chromes, but plan to put them on my fretless which currently has rounds. I ordered a set of LaBella DTF's because I was afraid the chromes might be too bright for what I am going for here. Someday I think I might get a 2nd Precision to set up for more of an aggressive 70's rock tone; right now I am thinking more genuine old(er) school.

((And the pick guard I put on is read pearloid, not too far from your red flake-- an alternative to tort but not too far from the color family. Being a blue bass, tort just didn't seem right. ))

6. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I wouldn't mind trying a solid body U-bass, but certainly am not going to buy without trying one first, lol.

7. Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    "tend to want to", sure. What if it's a type of thing you are very interested in but don't have an opportunity to try one ahead of time?

Gluvhand likes this.
  8. The Mesa D-800 didn't do it for me. I think I may be the only one here to have played it extensively and said that they didn't like it. I understand if this is grounds for me being banned from TB.

Things I bought sight unseen that did live up to the TB hype; GK MBF800, Aguilar Filter Twin, Keeley Bassist.....and a P-Bass. So on the whole I'm liking the TB hyped/recommended gear.

Edit: I live nowhere near a major or decent music store that carries the gear I'm interested in. So I do tons of research and usually order used online IF I can find a deal that makes flipping it not at too much of a loss. TalkBass reviews are a big part of that research.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Roberto Nunez likes this.
  9. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Boob-lex is evil, I will have no part of it.

I don't buy things that do not have a money back guarantee. So, if the advice fails me, I can return the item instead of going through the hassle of selling it at a loss.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Seriously? :rolleyes:

Is that like one of those "little known facts?" ;)

GregC and Plutonium244 like this.
  11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    And we both know that there are folks here who will just plunk down their hard-earned based on buzz. To me, that is utterly baffling.

GregC and Plutonium244 like this.
  12. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I used to spend a lot of money to get a buzz.

oh wait...

13. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Well... a lot of TBers don't live near major cities and don't have the opportunity to try before they buy. This is especially true of used/discontinued items.
    Stuff that worked for me based on TB recommendations: Trace Elliot 1153 cabinets, Mesa Buster amp, Sadowsky basses
    Not so much: Flats

14. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Schroeder cabinets.

Groove Doctor and jnewmark like this.
  15. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Yeah, but does kitty have a tuck n' roll Kustom amp?

Passinwind likes this.
  16. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I bought a Phil Jones Bass Cub online based on the TB love. It was a joke, thank goodness I was able to return it.

17. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts I like bass. And airplanes. Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Aguilar stuff (though I love the pickups)
    Lakland basses
    G&L basses
    Love recent Fender stuff but yawn!
    Sorry, folks. My home build Warmoth basses and second hand Peavey basses really do it for me.

18. Depends on what it is and how much it costs. At the very least I want to hear an online demo or review. I've taken shots on pedals, nothing boutique, and have been pretty lucky.

19. Yeah, I don't have that kind of disposable cash, so...

20. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    It's interesting that we say we trust a community, yet it's personal responsibility that lets us down. The community is a collection of individuals.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021