purchases on which TB led you astray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plutonium244, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Darkglass Vintage Microtubes...just didn't really like the tones I got out of it when paired with my combo amp. Bought an Attack Goat Fuzz in stead and greatly prefer that for distortion.

2. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Only thing that comes to mind are straps.
    Neotech....
    Wide padded Levy's and similar.....

Those are kind of like shoes though, you have to try them on until you find a pair that fits.

Oh, and every pedal I've ever tried. Now and then I'll buy another pedal only to confirm I'm a rack mount guy.

3. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    The Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass, 5-string version. After a while, it finally dawned on me that, though it's an excellent product at its price point, the neck contour just wasn't for me.

I suddenly remember the many times I had a set on the stovetop in a mixture of denatured alcohol and distilled water. And yet, if it saved $30 a month, the smell of that concoction wafting through the kitchen was well worth it. ;)

TMARK likes this.
  4. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I've never purchased anything based on suggestions, but I have made several trips to try out gear based on suggestions. I usually look at how the members describe gear that I have played, to see if it fits my opinion on said gear. If so, then they're a little more trustworthy than the guy who describes a piece of gear differently than I would.

5. PixelPaintbrush

PixelPaintbrush

Jul 25, 2016
    Kentucky
    Ouch, personally I'm loving my bass to the point I'm selling one of my regulars, the poly strings were a godsend for me. That being said though, I almost bought a Gretsch after much hype here, but after trying it out at the store...just didn't see what was so great about it, instead it's how I got my fretless squier that I absolutely adore.

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    Thomastik strings. not really for me and expensive to boot. but it's no big deal. the amount of good advice on purchases i've gotten from TB is extraordinary.

Roberto Nunez likes this.
  7. To be honest and get real for a second, 90% failure rate

I have been waiting for a thread like this. I'm 24 and a working musician mainly playing bass, but also a producer using synth's and drum machines etc, been playing live consistently (for income), I can in my experience the majority of information regarding equipment on here has....led me astray.. My thinking is that the majority of users on here are in a higher age bracket, thus the music and sound which they are trying to achieve is that from decades past (not flaming anyone, i love the vintage goodness, used and SVT and jazz with flats for years) but with that comes a strong reluctance to anything new and innovative. "fender P is all you need" "flats are real bass strings" and other sentiments lay strong within this forum, for good reason, the Fender Precision is and always will be a staple to electric bass, the standard in which all are judged.

That being said, innovation and moving forward with arms wide open to these innovations is ideal to a healthy and evolving artistic community. A Lamborghini adventador is an incredible piece of machinery, now made under the supervision of Audi. Some may say it doesnt have the flare and flamboyance of previous cars like the Diablo or Countach, but often this flamboyance and excitement comes from the vehicles short-comings and the people who used them creating romances with these vehicles because of them, instead of being critical of an expensive "super" car falling apart or being very difficult to drive, even more so if you compare the Adventador to a model T-ford. IMO embracing innovation not only good for all musicians (young, old, up and coming) but it is good for the market. So many threads on here are about people complaining about this company, that company, this brand that brand. Majority of which are the big players in the industry, the same big players that are stuck making the same instruments decade after decade. Their main and target audience imo are people that enjoyed music in their prime through the 60's-80's which goes back to my previous point about the nostalgic point of view in my argument.

Earlier this year I went into a bass store in Melbourne and played a dingwall Super P4 and it blew my socks off. I actually didnt know what to do, I couldnt put it down, If i wasn't playing it i was gobsmacked by all the details and the level of sophistication and innovation at nearly every corner/curve of the instrument. I then picked up an ABZ and was even more amazed that a bass could PERFORM and deliver low notes with such accuracey while still feeling like an instrument with "soul". I'm not trying to fanboy or anything like that but here in Australia the only real options to try are fenders, musicmans, ibanez, the occasional rickenbacker and a few boutique stores which carry some dingwalls, MTDs, Spectors, Sadowsky's. The dingwalls just to me we're everything that pointed to the future, to progressive thinking, to improvement on a design thats stood the test of time until now. Not long after I ordered a custom ABII for myself.

Same goes for tubes and their glory, solid state and its staleness, multi-FX and their coldness. I can tell you now that myself and my guitarist have gone through so many pedals thanks to forums hype and after years have come back to high quality multi-FX for their silent delivery, huge versatility especially in live situations. Sure they are not perfect, but in majority of live situations only you will really notice the difference, and sure it depends on what you are going for. If you are going for original music and sounds to engage the audience and put on the best show and experience for them, you need to be open minded and innovate. Because audiences of today demand you to be "fresh".

TLDR;
    Try things before you buy, if not, do serious research and PREPARE your mind and wallet for the situation that even after all that trawling through threads and youtube videos the piece of gear might just not be for you.
    Dingwall/MTD/other highend innovative designs are like the bugatti veyron
    Classic designs are like the model t-ford or an old mustang.....both are great and have their own thing going on, but you know out those you know which one is "better" at being what it is.

oh boy it felt good to get that off my chest

8. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I know I will get flack for this but Sadowsky

9. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Can't think of anything...I do a GREAT job of leading myself astray!

10. fourtet102

fourtet102

Jun 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hate heaters!
    Rickenbacker 4003S

11. Fender Rumble 100
    Fender Rumble 40. Both bought and returned.
    All Ampeg combos I bought and returned..

First Squier Jag SS
    Sansamp DI.

Quite a few sets of various strings.

12. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I have fun on TB but I've seen enough rave reviews on products that I wouldn't hit a dog in the butt with to know not to take it as gospel.

I'm lucky - I go to the NAMM shows every year and I also have opportunities to visit a lot of great instrument stores. I see, hear and get to touch and play with a ton of great gear. I know what sounds right and what works pretty well for me, so I'm immune from a lot of hype.

13. IamJohn

IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    The TC Electronic Polytune hasn't lived up to the hype I heard for it on hear. I find it doesn't track particularly well and the leds are hard to read in polytune mode. That said, i've had it for a couple of years so it can't be that bad, now can it? ;)

14. Strange indeed ... looking st the majority of TB posts the SX basses are way better than any Fender you can think of ...
    I tried one one time and it was not that great actually ...

silvertina and irjason like this.
  15. Better if you bought an American Standard straight away ... 2nd hand maybe to reduce the price gap ...

16. I also followed TB advices on flats ... i installed a set of chromes on a P Bass I have and I recognise that they have a distinct character but I also realised that I'm more of a roundwounds one .

17. Bought a wide padded Levy not because of TB for the MM jazz bass in my avatar and I was very pleased by it!

PsyDocHill likes this.
  18. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    Most of my TB-related purchases have been great. Got an SX bass that I loved, but ended up selling to fund something else.
    Something that seems pretty widely liked is the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive (Mod). Got it for a slight overdrive, as it seems most people did, and used it for a while. It wasnt really that it cut lows THAT much, it just added a weird EQ to the highs. I couldnt get the clean blend to do me any good either. It was fine, but is now replaced by a ZVex Distortron clone that absolutely kills the 'grind' sound. The Sparkle Drive is now just used as a clean boost

19. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Aguilar TH500. To be clear, Aguilar is a class act - I love the old GS series cabinets, have heard the pickups, have played through an OBP-3 preamp and been very impressed, and often am enamored of the sound of a 750 or 751 when I hear them. And Alex Aguilar reportedly designed the Sadowsky pre-amp - how is that for a credential?

Anyhow, tried the TH500 based on GT ballyhoo... and we... just…could…not…get…on. I'd do a soundcheck and get my sound dialed in, then do the gig and suddenly there was all kinds of grit in the sound. Maybe I never learned how to use it right, although I did survey a lot of TB threads about care and feeding of these units.

So I'm not gonna say it's not a good amp…but we simply could not get on the same page.

20. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I rarely buy new gear, so I usually break even (or even make money). What costs me more is playing keys - Keyboards do NOT appreciate - EVER!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021